• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First and only Arrest: Failure to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confused in CT

Connecticut

First of all, thanks to anyone taking the time to read and help me out. :D

I recently was arrested on grounds of a Failure to Appear in court in Derby, Connecticut on 11/19/09 to pay a $50 fine for a ticket I got for driving under a suspended license, and failure to obey traffic signals (drove through a red light.)

I realize I made a big mistake by getting the ticket in the first place, and of course for not being able to make it to court that day to resolve the issue. :(

So when I had realized I missed my court date, I called the courthouse and they told me there was a re-warrant for my arrest. I called the Ansonia police, and they told me to come in the morning and I would have to wait in a cell, then be brought to the judge that day and bond/bail out.

I was released on $100 bond, and have another court date in about a week.

My questions:

What should I expect in court? Is there a chance there will be significant consequences I should prepare for somehow?

Am I entitled to a public defender? How do I get in touch with one? What can he or she do for me?

And lastly and most importantly- Is there any way to remove a FTA from my criminal record? I don't want this really careless mistake be a serious stain on my record and limit my opportunities in the future for success. How do I put this behind me without severely cutting the legs out from underneath me with an arrest on an otherwise spotless criminal record? Is expungement a possibility?

Thanks very much for your time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">