• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time offender receiving charges before court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maverickj72011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana On my last day of high school, our class went out to a club for younger adults such as 18 an up. I went with my friends and I didn't drive. I do not have license at the time. 4 of us was in one car and 2 were in the other. There was achohol in the back and front seats that were opened. When we arrive to the club me and the other girl in the back seat go in. The girls from the other car get in the car with the driver and the front seat passenger and went across the street to the store. While we are in the club, I was told that they got in trouble with the police. I remained in the club because the police were questioning anyone who passed by. Later my friends came to get me. And the police asked us who the daiquiri was for and another achoholic beverage, which included two cups. The daiquiri belonged to the other girl and I got a ticket for the other achohol. The girls who rode in separate cars did not get a ticket. But the upfront passenger and the driver did. On my ticket I received possession of achohol under the age of 21 and open containment. I was going to do the pre trial diversion class to get it off my record but a month and so later. I got in trouble for shoplifting with the same people. And a 16 year old was with us participating and I got another charge for contributing to delinquency of a minor (I was not aware of his age because he was a friend of the driver). I just ask how I should go about this. I don't plan to get in anymore trouble bc I will be attending college in the fall and I'm honestly scared that this will give me a criminal record that will harm me for the rest of my life.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana On my last day of high school, our class went out to a club for younger adults such as 18 an up. I went with my friends and I didn't drive. I do not have license at the time. 4 of us was in one car and 2 were in the other. There was achohol in the back and front seats that were opened. When we arrive to the club me and the other girl in the back seat go in. The girls from the other car get in the car with the driver and the front seat passenger and went across the street to the store. While we are in the club, I was told that they got in trouble with the police. I remained in the club because the police were questioning anyone who passed by. Later my friends came to get me. And the police asked us who the daiquiri was for and another achoholic beverage, which included two cups. The daiquiri belonged to the other girl and I got a ticket for the other achohol. The girls who rode in separate cars did not get a ticket. But the upfront passenger and the driver did. On my ticket I received possession of achohol under the age of 21 and open containment. I was going to do the pre trial diversion class to get it off my record but a month and so later. I got in trouble for shoplifting with the same people. And a 16 year old was with us participating and I got another charge for contributing to delinquency of a minor (I was not aware of his age because he was a friend of the driver). I just ask how I should go about this. I don't plan to get in anymore trouble bc I will be attending college in the fall and I'm honestly scared that this will give me a criminal record that will harm me for the rest of my life.
1) Quit breaking the law.
2) What is your planned major? You need to consider that because you are an adult and no longer a juvenile. That is a problem.
3) Don't plan to drive until you are most likely 21.

Yeah... depending on your charges and your goals, this could impact you.

maverickj72011

What to do?

Could I possibly plea bargain the first case which included possession of achohol underage and open containment in vehicle and then try to take diversion class for the second ticket which included the theft & contributing to delinquency of minor?

maverickj72011

I agree.

I've been hearing that a lot from my family and other friends. Because I'm a nerd myself, I kept good grades, I already have college credit. I stayed in the house most of the time reading. And I started hanging with my cousin & now I feel like my life is over bc of those mistakes I made.

legalservice

You are literally a magnet for cops. You are directly in control of your fate now, and you want to go to college and not have criminal record, stop being a criminal! And secondly, you will learn later in your life, NOT TO TALK TO COPS. They are not your friends! They do NOT care if you are innocent, there job is to lock you up, the more you talk, the more witnesses you have against you and the more lies they can feed a jury at trial. If the cops want to arrest you, all they have to have is "probable cause" which means they "believe" a crime happened, which in my opinion, there always justified. I have never in my life heard of one cop who didn't lie under oath to convict someone. Stop talking to them! Say "I want an attorney" at which point they will put in there criminal report "He was so remorseful for his actions he didn't want to talk to us" or they will threaten you by saying "your only making this worse for yourself, now if you want to tell me your side of the story, it might help you out" or "your looking at a lot of time here, now if you want to talk, we can help you out" Don't fall for the bullcrap they feed you. Most of the time, there is nothing to document what you say to them or vice versa, even though they have access to body cams and recorders, its so they can get away with lying on there incident reports.

quincy

You are literally a magnet for cops ...

.. I have never in my life heard of one cop who didn't lie under oath to convict someone...

... Say "I want an attorney" at which point they will put in there criminal report "He was so remorseful for his actions he didn't want to talk to us" or they will threaten you by saying "your only making this worse for yourself, now if you want to tell me your side of the story, it might help you out" or "your looking at a lot of time here, now if you want to talk, we can help you out"

Don't fall for the bullcrap ...
Some comments on what I have quoted above:

First quote: How can one "literally" be a magnet for cops?

Second quote: If you have never heard in your life of one cop who did not lie under oath, I suspect your experience is extremely limited or you have a listening problem.

Third quote: :confused: Huh?

Fourth quote: Good advice and I recommend the original poster keep it in mind when reading your post. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some comments on what I have quoted above:

First quote: How can one "literally" be a magnet for cops?

Second quote: If you have never heard in your life of one cop who did not lie under oath, I suspect your experience is extremely limited or you have a listening problem.

Third quote: :confused: Huh?

Fourth quote: Good advice and I recommend the original poster keep it in mind when reading your post. ;)
This responder has had several posts reported. S/he has some sort of agenda...

ETA: I'm speaking of "legalservice" of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">