• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Five defendants, only 4 want plea offer...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
TX

If there are 5 defendants in a case, and 4 of them want to accept the plea offerand one does not, how does this affect everyone? If all are not in agreement for the plea, will the plea offer be withdrawn or can the four that want to accept do so, and the 5th go on their own?

Shay-Pari'e

weplumcrazy said:
What is the name of your state?
TX

If there are 5 defendants in a case, and 4 of them want to accept the plea offerand one does not, how does this affect everyone? If all are not in agreement for the plea, will the plea offer be withdrawn or can the four that want to accept do so, and the 5th go on their own?
Edited because I have realized it is beating a dead horse.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for an answer to soothe me. I'm looking for factual points of law in order to deal with the reality that is happening in my world. I am new to this site as I am not generally in a position of dealing with legal problems, and I thought this question concerning the plea offer was a different subject and was therefore a new question.

If not then please accept this as a continuance of the old thread and pardon my error.

To any serious members who are sincere in wanting to give advice in order to help me make an informed decision I would appreciate your input on this subject.

What if one of the five defendants is insistant on viewing the affidiavit before accepting plea, how will this affect the other 4 defendants. He wants to break away and hire a different attorney to obtain the information he had asked the present attorney to obtain but did not. Can the other 4 go ahead and accept the plea if one takes this action?

calatty

It depends on whether the prosecution is offering a package dealing or is willing to accept individual plea.

justalayman

I would be cautious. If the others accept the deal, part of the deal may be or may become agreement to testify against any not accepting the deal. If this puts you in a world of hurt, I would be very cautious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">