• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fleeing and Eluding (1st Offense) Need Advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NEt^

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Recently I was Fleeing and Eluding on my motorcycle and the cop found me a few streets down and stopped me, he charged me with Fleeing and Eluding and I got arrested and bonded out for $3,000, any idea what will happen on my court date on October 5th? It's my first felony and first offense. What should I expect?

Thanks!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Recently I was Fleeing and Eluding on my motorcycle and the cop found me a few streets down and stopped me, he charged me with Fleeing and Eluding and I got arrested and bonded out for $3,000, any idea what will happen on my court date on October 5th? It's my first felony and first offense. What should I expect?

Thanks!
NEt^, there are a few different "fleeing and eluding" felony charges. I am going to provide a link to 316.1935 and assume that you were charged with the third degree felony (although you can read through the link to see the more serious charges):

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.1935.html

If you were charged with 3rd degree fleeing and eluding and are convicted of the charge, you could be fined up to $5000 (although payment deferrals are possible) and you will be responsible for paying court costs. Your driver license will be revoked for 1 to 5 years. Your vehicle can be seized. You will have a criminal record.

I recommend you get an attorney for several reasons.

The major reason is that, whenever you are charged with any felony, a conviction on the charge can change your life in a variety of very bad ways, both personally and financially. It can affect future employment opportunities and current jobs, travel plans, loan rates, insurance costs and, if you are a student, it can affect your enrollment in school and any financial aid package you currently have.

An attorney will work to get you the best possible outcome based on the facts and circumstances of your arrest and the charges that resulted.

The attorney can work with the prosecutor to perhaps get a 3rd degree felony charge reduced to a 1st or 2nd degree misdemeanor (which is not great, but is better than a felony), or perhaps the attorney can get the charge dismissed (if on nothing else but a technicality).

It would be smart for you, and strongly advised that you, say nothing of the facts surrounding your arrest to anyone but the attorney you hire.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">