• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida DMV - Warrant checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Law-abiding

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

Hello, I have a friend who may have a felony warrant in Florida. He plans to clear it up... but he first needs to get his affairs in order. One of the things he needs to do is to get his identification card renewed because it has expired. My question is this: Does the Florida DMV (in Pasco county) do a warrant check when a person goes to get their I.D. renewed? My friend does not want to get arrested while trying to get his I.D. He would much rather turn himself in.

I've done some internet research on this and what I gather is that usually, DMV's around the U.S. do not do warrant checks... but each state does things differently.

However, when I went to the DMV for my driver's license, it seemed like the kind of place that WOULD check for warrants. The people behind the counter were in law enforcement type uniforms and there were security people around. Also, they use computers (which may or may not provide them with god knows what kind of info).

I would simply call and ask on behalf of my friend... but I don't trust their honesty. I get the feeling that if I ask that question, they'll say "ohh noooooo, come on down, we won't check for warrants."... and then my friend could find out the hard way that it was a lie.

MrJenkins

renewing his ID would be a great way to start getting his affairs in order...

I am not sure about FL, but I know numerous people who have been arrested for warrants while trying to renew license/ID here in Ohio.

CdwJava

While the DMV likely does not, and likely can not, search for warrants, if he has a warrant chances are the FDLE has his name flagged for activity. So, he may be able to renew it okay, his action will alert the FDLE to the activity.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">