• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in florida how specific does a search warrant need to be on a cell phone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Last edited:

veleztm

more specifically, the warrant has two defendants names on it, and does not specify what was being searched for

quincy

more specifically, the warrant has two defendants names on it, and does not specify what was being searched for
Because of the amount of personal information that is now stored on cell phones, the search warrant should have search parameters narrow and specific enough so that privacy is not unnecessarily invaded. In other words, the search of the cell phone cannot be an unlimited search of the contents of a phone. The warrant should be no different than warrants to search computers.

CdwJava

Okay, there are two defendants on it. The key is the place to be searched and what was to be searched for. The copy you receive may not have to include all that info, or, there could be some other exception in FL.

If the warrant was somehow defective, your attorney can make a motion to have any evidence excluded.

quincy

If you are the subject of a warrant issued for a search of your cell phone, you really need to have an attorney available to act on your behalf.

veleztm

my son took a plea on bad legal advice from his lawyer, nothing was challenged by him. the only way to change the charge now is to find something in his case that is reversible to bring it back to court

veleztm

Because of the amount of personal information that is now stored on cell phones, the search warrant should have search parameters narrow and specific enough so that privacy is not unnecessarily invaded. In other words, the search of the cell phone cannot be an unlimited search of the contents of a phone. The warrant should be no different than warrants to search computers.
thats what my son is finding out, now im trying to find a way to help him with it

CdwJava

my son took a plea on bad legal advice from his lawyer, nothing was challenged by him. the only way to change the charge now is to find something in his case that is reversible to bring it back to court
And what does his appellate lawyer have to say on all of this? An appeal is NOT a do-it-yourself project, and certainly not a parent-do-it project.

quincy

thats what my son is finding out, now im trying to find a way to help him with it
You really need to find an attorney to help your son.

It could be that the consequences of accepting a plea deal were not explained to your son's understanding by his previous attorney but this would be a stretch. The judge will not accept a plea if s/he believes the defendant does not understand what it is he is pleading to.

Here, because I have it on hand, is an 11th Circuit case from April of this year where the Appeals Court found evidence from a warrantless search of cell phones incident to an arrest was admissible.
USA v. Alejandro Barron-Soto: http://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/files/201314731.pdf

And here is a link to Florida State Attorney Jerry Hill's webpage with a good overview provided by Assistant State Attorney Wade Warren, on cell phone searches since the US Supreme Court decisions in Riley and Wurie: http://www.sao10.com/pdf/legal_advisor/2016/June2016.pdf

Again, though, if you want to help your son, you will need to find an attorney in your area to personally review the facts of the case, and to see what evidence was obtained from the cell phone search and how it was used in the case against your son. I agree with CdwJava that this is not a do-it-yourself project.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">