• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mindys4

What is the name of your state?MI
I recently filed a report of forgery with the police against my ex-fiance, what are the penalties for this. He has forged my signature 7 times to checks with both of our names of them to the tune of more than $300. I talked to a lawyer and he said that it depends on the statute, but what could potentially happen to him? This is his first offense. What does it take for forgery to be a felony?
Any help is appreciated!

Just Blue

Mindys4 said:
What is the name of your state?MI
I recently filed a report of forgery with the police against my ex-fiance, what are the penalties for this. He has forged my signature 7 times to checks with both of our names of them to the tune of more than $300. I talked to a lawyer and he said that it depends on the statute, but what could potentially happen to him? This is his first offense. What does it take for forgery to be a felony?
Any help is appreciated!
Why did he forge your signature if he was on the acct?

Mindys4

It wasn't a joint account. It was a bonus check from Quixtar (internet business) that I requested to have my name removed from. When that didn't happen, he just forged my signature to be able to cash the checks.

acmb05

Why do you care

It's obvious you wanted nothing to do with the bonus checks so why do you care if he cashed them or not?

CdwJava

What is his side of the story? Is he saying you told him it was okay to put your signature on the check? Has he done this before with your permission?

Depending on the statute, this may not be easy to prove as a criminal matter as intent may play a key role. Simply signing someone else's name is not necessarily a criminal act - even on a check.

- Carl

Mindys4

acmb05- I care because he is signing my name to legal documents without my permission when I signed a document (that he never turned in) to have my name removed from the "account"

Carl- I don't know what his side of the story is... he won't call me back. I am currently trying to get him to sign yet another form to have my name removed, but he won't call me back. Technically speaking, I am entitled to half of the money since my name is on the account, that and the fact that he owes me over $3,000.

CdwJava

A small claims action has a lower burden of proof than a criminal action. You just might prevail in a civil action, whereas a criminal action may never make it to court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">