• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery and fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deadlunch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a friend whose sister put their father's will to be probated disinheriting her (my friend) completely and leaving her sister with all of his possessions (he owned a house). Now my friend contested the will and several experts found the will to have been forged. Now my friend was able to settle with her sister through their attorneys so that she was able to have her rightful inheritance, but she is curious as to the consequences to that act. Can her sister be imprisoned for her connection with trying to probate a forged instrument? Also, her attorney notarized the will- can he possibly be found to be liable and penalized as well, especially since the will was found to be forged? How will she be able to start a further investigation into this? Needless to say she is highly upset and though the settlement is only recent, it was after several years of litigation, and she was just tired and fed up and wanted it to be over, and at her attorney's urging she agreed to settle. Prior to this she (her sister) was arrested and in jail for one week having been accused by her uncle for stealing 70,000 from him. He was very old at the time and very confused and as a result at the grand jury it was the judge's contention that he was not duped,but rather just confused. She later tried to probate his will- which was full of errors- but her aunt intervened and we are not too sure what's going on with that outside of the will contest and subsequent will submitted for probate by her aunt.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">