• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery, ID Theft, Mail Fraud, Room Search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dacure123

What is the name of your state? Columbia, Maryland

I am being subjected to the possibilities of Identity Theft / Fraud (ie, my roommate is stealing my papers, my mail, and most importantly using your name, SSN# & forged my signature, and signing me up as a 'co-borrower' for his student loans to defraud Sallie Mae receiving loan money from them, obtain credit in his own name, but using me as a reference, etc... also, he bounced a check to me, and stole some cash in the apt from me).

The way I see it, he has forged my name as a co-borrower on a SALLIE MAE LOANS to receive $8,000 from SALLIE MAE; intercepted, opened and read sent mail addressed to me I have never seen or opened; stolen @$500 cash in the apt from me; and bounced a check to me as well; I can only assume it is or has gotten worse?

DO I HAVE ANY LEGAL APARTMENT RIGHTS TO SEARCH OR GO THROUGH HIS ROOM (He has left town, but his belongings still remain in our APT room & he is on the lease)?? I filed a Police Report the other day with the police, but I have reason to believe he might come back & I want to find out the depth of what is going on.

ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS by me going into his room and looking for other paperwork that may have my namesake, & id, etc.. being used for fruadulent purposes??

If I found anything, can I turn that into the police without this 'evidence' being dismissed or used to build a case against him? OR Must I go through other procedures to investigate his room?

WE ARE BOTH Signed parties to a 2-BR LEASE.
Am I entitled to look or search around his room?undefined

What is the most serious crime he has committed against me here?

racer72

You sound like an obnoxious twit and deserve everything you get. If your crappy attitude is the same at the message you sent to me, it's no wonder you get ripped off. Remember, the value of the advice you get from this site is worth the exact same price you paid for it. You want something for nothing, forget it. Now you can go pay an attorney to tell you the same thing.

dacure123

AGAIN, Contribute something useful or not at all...

racer72 has posted 6,000+ times and most likely nothing useful...

racer72 said:
You sound like an obnoxious twit and deserve everything you get. If your crappy attitude is the same at the message you sent to me, it's no wonder you get ripped off. Remember, the value of the advice you get from this site is worth the exact same price you paid for it. You want something for nothing, forget it. Now you can go pay an attorney to tell you the same thing.

You filed a police report already so once again go to the police station and ask them what you are allowed to do and if anything you find would be admissible as evidence.

HomeGuru

dacure123 said:
What is the name of your state? Columbia, Maryland

I am being subjected to the possibilities of Identity Theft / Fraud (ie, my roommate is stealing my papers, my mail, and most importantly using your name, SSN# & forged my signature, and signing me up as a 'co-borrower' for his student loans to defraud Sallie Mae receiving loan money from them, obtain credit in his own name, but using me as a reference, etc... also, he bounced a check to me, and stole some cash in the apt from me).

The way I see it, he has forged my name as a co-borrower on a SALLIE MAE LOANS to receive $8,000 from SALLIE MAE; intercepted, opened and read sent mail addressed to me I have never seen or opened; stolen @$500 cash in the apt from me; and bounced a check to me as well; I can only assume it is or has gotten worse?

DO I HAVE ANY LEGAL APARTMENT RIGHTS TO SEARCH OR GO THROUGH HIS ROOM (He has left town, but his belongings still remain in our APT room & he is on the lease)?? I filed a Police Report the other day with the police, but I have reason to believe he might come back & I want to find out the depth of what is going on.

**A: pursuant to Maryland L/T law, the right of a roommate to search
ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS by me going into his room and looking for other paperwork that may have my namesake, & id, etc.. being used for fruadulent purposes??

**A: see above.

If I found anything, can I turn that into the police without this 'evidence' being dismissed or used to build a case against him? OR Must I go through other procedures to investigate his room?

**A: the proper procedures must be followed ot else the evidence obtained may be deemed inadmissable. Further

WE ARE BOTH Signed parties to a 2-BR LEASE.
Am I entitled to look or search around his room?undefined

**A: he is entitled to privacy under the law, and protection from search and seizure unless
What is the most serious crime he has committed against me here?
**A: I will list in order of severity from most serious to less serious, the last being the most serious:

dacure123

Thanks for Comments & Info.

Police determined there was reasonable cause & came back with their own Search Warrant and executed it. Case is in progress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">