• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery. Should get a Lawyer? or PTI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruawake2u

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? South Carolina

Okay...I got arrested..and served warrants for 10 counts of forgery. I didnt forge them..and didnt know they were stolen. I was offered PTI...they said it would be a lot easier taking that, but to me..thats like saying im guilty. How hard do u think it would be to fight it considering i really didnt do it. :(

Kane

1. What's PTI?

2. If it's some kind of pretrial diversion, you probably need to talk to a lawyer before you decide. Generally you can be convicted of forgery either for forging the document - signing somebody's else's name, for example, or changing the amount of the check - or for knowingly passing a forged document, whether you were the one who forged it or not. Proving you knew it was forged is sometimes difficult, and sometimes not. It depends on the circumstances of the case.

Whether you want to accept pretrial diversion depends on what all you have to do, what rights you give up, and how strong the their case will be if you decide to go to court.

JETX

ruawake2u said:
How hard do u think it would be to fight it considering i really didnt do it. :(
Of course, no one can answer your question without reviewing all the facts and evidence against you. Get a GOOD defense attorney.

ruawake2u

Another Question...

JETX said:
Of course, no one can answer your question without reviewing all the facts and evidence against you. Get a GOOD defense attorney.

What about if I know I didnt forge them, and I didnt know she was forging them....Then nobody is saying I did, except for the bank....The bank is pressing charges...It is a long story...But, my question is...How do I read the other girls statement? I mean, I doubt she is saying I knew, when I didnt, So, if this girl is suppose to be my "Co-Defendant"...how do I read her statement? and how much do you think A lawyer would cost me to basically I guess, fight the bank for accusing me? I know its a long question. Ive just never been in trouble, and its kinda scary to know you could get in deeper trouble, and you are innocent the whole time....Thanks..And If I get a lawyer, like today, then my PTI (pre-trial intervention) (to esponge my record), can just be canceled..right?....thanks again..

JETX

ruawake2u said:
What about if I know I didnt forge them, and I didnt know she was forging them....Then nobody is saying I did, except for the bank....The bank is pressing charges...It is a long story...But, my question is...How do I read the other girls statement? I mean, I doubt she is saying I knew, when I didnt, So, if this girl is suppose to be my "Co-Defendant"...how do I read her statement? and how much do you think A lawyer would cost me to basically I guess, fight the bank for accusing me? I know its a long question. Ive just never been in trouble, and its kinda scary to know you could get in deeper trouble, and you are innocent the whole time....Thanks..And If I get a lawyer, like today, then my PTI (pre-trial intervention) (to esponge my record), can just be canceled..right?....thanks again..
And of course, none of that changes anything. We are NOT the jury or court. We are NOT your attorney.
You can argue your reasons, excuses, justifications, etc. on this forum all day long... and it makes NO difference. Get an attorney and let him/her do their job.

ruawake2u

not arguing

I am not arguing. Just trying to get advice.

JETX said:
And of course, none of that changes anything. We are NOT the jury or court. We are NOT your attorney.
You can argue your reasons, excuses, justifications, etc. on this forum all day long... and it makes NO difference. Get an attorney and let him/her do their job.

smutlydog

ruawake2u said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? South Carolina

Okay...I got arrested..and served warrants for 10 counts of forgery. I didnt forge them..and didnt know they were stolen. I was offered PTI...they said it would be a lot easier taking that, but to me..thats like saying im guilty. How hard do u think it would be to fight it considering i really didnt do it. :(
How did you end up with 10 forged checks without knowing about it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">