• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freed on murder charge, then charged with aggravated robbery for different charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

A few weeks ago a store clerk was murdered in cold blood. Hours later the footage of 3 punks was released; all under the age of 22. A few mre hours passed and a news brief was released"All 3 men caught" The community was happy, we felt as we could sleep again. The 9 oclock news comes on, and they are reporting that 2 of the 3 suspects were released and no further arrest are expected. What a load of crap, in the security camera shot they show the 3 guys laughing as they are running out of the store after killing this 50 year old father of 2! I called the police department myself and demanded to know why they let the guy loose, the murder happened in an area where my gf works over night! They told me that the police dont need to give a reason to why they do things etc.. As a citizen I was upset! How could this be, I mean I am no lawyer, but all 3 were there on tape, all 3 left together after the shooting, no one stopped to render aid, and no one called 911. Should they all not have been held accountable? I told them this was a stupid move on the police departments end. But who am i? just another Joe Citizen, Im sure the 2 kids they released were good kids, maybe they deserve another shot (shot of that lethal injection mixture) Anywho, I turn on the news last night, and what do I see. One of the 2 men released was being charged with aggravated robbery! They ran up to 2 citizens in a car, pulled a gun, and demanded their wallets, the men complied, but as soon as the robbers took off, the victims started to follow them. A mile down the road the punk kids pull out a gun and stnart shooting at the men following them. The police eventually caught up with them, and the bad guys were taken to jail. Luckily no one was killed by the punk this time. But gee whizz man, what was the police department thinking putting this guy on the streets again. On his facebook profile, he has a post from december talking about how "he finna do a 187 on somebody now dat he gotz his baby 45 cal" smh

CdwJava

First, you honestly do not know anything about the investigation or what evidence the police may or may not have. There are certainly details that you are not privy to. It could be that two rolled over on the shooter and were told they would not be charged that night as a reward for their cooperation. That does NOT mean that the DA won't charge them and order them arrested later on.

Second, the police are not at all required to inform the public of why they might do things. In fact, there are likely some very good reasons why they are remaining mum about the matter.

Third, videos rarely show everything and often are not definitive with regard to identification and details.

The police are NOT in the habit of releasing people who are clearly bad guys unless there is good reason. Either they are pursuing some other investigative angle, or maybe they lacked the evidence to charge at least two of the subjects arrested at this time. No matter what a video might show, the state must still establish both probable cause for the crime as well as having sufficient evidence prove the matter beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. An immediate arrest might start the clock ticking towards a trial that the state is not yet prepared to pursue on those two suspects (perhaps they need time to get more evidence, or, something else ...).

You will simply have to wait and see. Nothing you do or say can compel the police or the DA to explain themselves if they do not want to. In fact, explaining themselves can have some negative consequences in the long run, so they are likely not to say much.

The police are also not mind readers. They cannot predict how someone will act when they are released. Certainly, if they released them like tagged game animals to see where they might lead them, that can be an act of very poor judgement. But, if they were released because of legal or investigative reasons, that's not all that uncommon. I'm sure you would not want the police to hold someone in violation of the law, would you? In spite of their apparent guilt, they still have rights, and the law requires a certain burden of proof to be et before a person can be held in custody.

You are free to speculate, agitate, and inquire as you see fit. But, the police and the prosecutor will proceed as they see fit and as the law allows.

Last edited:
First, you honestly do not know anything about the investigation or what evidence the police may or may not have. There are certainly details that you are not privy to. It could be that two rolled over on the shooter and were told they would not be charged that night as a reward for their cooperation. That does NOT mean that the DA won't charge them and order them arrested later on.

Second, the police are not at all required to inform the public of why they might do things. In fact, there are likely some very good reasons why they are remaining mum about the matter.

Third, videos rarely show everything and often are not definitive with regard to identification and details.

The police are NOT in the habit of releasing people who are clearly bad guys unless there is good reason. Either they are pursuing some other investigative angle, or maybe they lacked the evidence to charge at least two of the subjects arrested at this time. No matter what a video might show, the state must still establish both probable cause for the crime as well as having sufficient evidence prove the matter beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. An immediate arrest might start the clock ticking towards a trial that the state is not yet prepared to pursue on those two suspects (perhaps they need time to get more evidence, or, something else ...).

You will simply have to wait and see. Nothing you do or say can compel the police or the DA to explain themselves if they do not want to. In fact, explaining themselves can have some negative consequences in the long run, so they are likely not to say much.

The police are also not mind readers. They cannot predict how someone will act when they are released. Certainly, if they released them like tagged game animals to see where they might lead them, that can be an act of very poor judgement. But, if they were released because of legal or investigative reasons, that's not all that uncommon. I'm sure you would not want the police to hold someone in violation of the law, would you? In spite of their apparent guilt, they still have rights, and the law requires a certain burden of proof to be et before a person can be held in custody.

You are free to speculate, agitate, and inquire as you see fit. But, the police and the prosecutor will proceed as they see fit and as the law allows.
I understand how the detectives work all too well. They will take their time before moving forward to build an air tight case, but the fact is that the video image, the video stills showing all 3 men their, running out, and laughing should of been enough to hang them? Im sure the police let them go if they ratted their buddy out. Would you not agree that letting these 2 guys out was in bad judgement. Obviously they had no problem with seeing an innocent man murdered in front of them, they had no problem laughing at his death, they had no problem laying low until they were busted, and as the latest events have shown, they have no problem with killing again. Im not saying the detectives did anything wrong, but I feel they chose the wrong course of action from the options they had in front of them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but this is not the appropriate forum for rants. Please take this matter up with your local government.

I'm sorry, but this is not the appropriate forum for rants. Please take this matter up with your local government.
I guess its arbitrary as to who can post what, where huh. Okay, I thought it was a discussion forum for talk about law. Thanks for the reply have a good one.
i mean ive seen plenty of post from senior members just talking about news stories they agree or dont agree with, but with me, you feel the need to correct. I know you have made up your mind on not liking me but perhaps if your going toot your horn about your "senior member status" like the angels of christ you should ease up a little, and be fair when it comes to trying to moderate the forums.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I guess its arbitrary as to who can post what, where huh. Okay, I thought it was a discussion forum for talk about law. Thanks for the reply have a good one.
i mean ive seen plenty of post from senior members just talking about news stories they agree or dont agree with, but with me, you feel the need to correct. I know you have made up your mind on not liking me but perhaps if your going toot your horn about your "senior member status" like the angels of christ you should ease up a little, and be fair when it comes to trying to moderate the forums.
I am tired of your attitude and multiple threads.

latigo

The site is not a soap box, a tree stump, a sounding board, a chat room, a talk show, nor a "forum to talk about law"!

It is a Q&A forum designed to provide professional guidance to individuals concerned with personal and business issues and subject matter related to American Jurisprudence.

So please continue your frenzied ravings elsewhere.

CdwJava

I understand how the detectives work all too well. They will take their time before moving forward to build an air tight case, but the fact is that the video image, the video stills showing all 3 men their, running out, and laughing should of been enough to hang them?
YOU may think it's enough, but, depending upon the quality of the video, it may NOT be sufficient. And, as I said, there may be other issues in play that you are not aware of and the police and the DA are not going to make public ... obviously.

Do you really think that these thugs bribed the police and the prosecutors? Why do YOU believe that these suspects walked from the robbery? Unless you believe that there is some skulduggery going on, there is almost certainly a valid and legal reason why they took the action they did.

Im sure the police let them go if they ratted their buddy out. Would you not agree that letting these 2 guys out was in bad judgement.
Hindsight is a fabulous teacher. We look at what happened afterwards and can pat ourselves on the back saying how much WE could have seen what happened later. The fact of the matter is that there is no crystal ball to predict what will happen in the short term, so if these guys were let go because they rolled on their partner and there was no significant prior history then, no, I would not agree that it was a matter of bad judgement. It may have been questionable, but, then, YOU do not know what the police know. YOU know only what you see on TV or online, not what the investigation shows.

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

A few weeks ago a store clerk was murdered in cold blood. Hours later the footage of 3 punks was released; all under the age of 22. A few mre hours passed and a news brief was released"All 3 men caught" The community was happy, we felt as we could sleep again. The 9 oclock news comes on, and they are reporting that 2 of the 3 suspects were released and no further arrest are expected. What a load of crap, in the security camera shot they show the 3 guys laughing as they are running out of the store after killing this 50 year old father of 2! I called the police department myself and demanded to know why they let the guy loose, the murder happened in an area where my gf works over night! They told me that the police dont need to give a reason to why they do things etc.. As a citizen I was upset! How could this be, I mean I am no lawyer, but all 3 were there on tape, all 3 left together after the shooting, no one stopped to render aid, and no one called 911. Should they all not have been held accountable? I told them this was a stupid move on the police departments end. But who am i? just another Joe Citizen, Im sure the 2 kids they released were good kids, maybe they deserve another shot (shot of that lethal injection mixture) Anywho, I turn on the news last night, and what do I see. One of the 2 men released was being charged with aggravated robbery! They ran up to 2 citizens in a car, pulled a gun, and demanded their wallets, the men complied, but as soon as the robbers took off, the victims started to follow them. A mile down the road the punk kids pull out a gun and stnart shooting at the men following them. The police eventually caught up with them, and the bad guys were taken to jail. Luckily no one was killed by the punk this time. But gee whizz man, what was the police department thinking putting this guy on the streets again. On his facebook profile, he has a post from december talking about how "he finna do a 187 on somebody now dat he gotz his baby 45 cal" smh
Do you believe everything else you see and hear on the news/internet as well?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">