• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend arrested for 8 year old warrant...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sweet&Innocent

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Nevada...but warrant is from California.

A friend of mine was receiving public assistance for herself and her 3 children in 96. She was however at the time working and did not disclose that information to them. When they found out they dropped the amount she was getting to just cover the kids. She later stopped getting assistance all together and moved to Nevada.

Last night she was arrested for an outstanding warrant from 8 years ago. Apparently she never showed up for a court appearance she never knew about.

Couple of bits of info....the warrant was issued in November 96 and she still went into the welfare dept. and got welfare in December 96 with no probs. Then in 2000 they started taking her income tax return each year as repayment. She has paid almost 2000 dollars per year since. She still owes 6000. So my question is...Why are they arresting her now? Will they release her on bail and ask that she appear in California? Or will they Extradite her now? Any help will be greatly appreciated... :)

stephenk

Dont you watch the news? California is in the middle of a large budget deficit.
We need all of the money owed to us from welfare cheats.

How long has she been in jail since being arrested? Was she contacted by the police for some other reason and then the warrant came up in a background check or was the police contact solely due to the warrant?

CdwJava

If they arrested her in NV for a CA warrant, the agency confirming the warrant will seek extradition. She will not be released on bail in NV.

My guess is she is wanted on felony charges. And, since warrants don't go away, it was only a matter of time before it caught up with her. Especially as she was receiving public assistance ... something that often requires background checks!

I fshe thought life was rough before, wait til she has to spend some time in jail and then try to deal with a court case in another state.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">