• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend Fears Search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaegibbs

(Illinois)
Hello.

A friend of mine who loads trucks for UPS was interrogated by the security staff today. The electronic records show that he scanned (online tracking) every package in two different trailers in which two packages were pilfered (A few dozen XBox game discs were stolen). He didn't incriminate himself as far as I know, but he didn't have any information that implied guilt to any other parties. The security staff told him that the charges (if there are any) would be for "Tampering with Interstate Commerce" "which is a felony" or somesuch. He IS innocent, but his real worry is the possibility of his apartment being searched. He has a large amount of paraphenelia including 6 cannabis plants which he is cultivating illegally in his apartment.

Should he worry about being searched? He's rather fond of his plants, and doesn't want to destroy them if he's safe from being searched...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Bravo8

Tell him not to worry, and keep his plants. That way when the police (or Feds, who may have authority since it involves some Interstate commerce law) show up with a warrant, they'll bust him for the plants.

Seriously, with the info you provided we have no idea of whether they have enough PC to obtain a search warrant.

But if he is truly innocent regarding the theft, and disposed of the plants, he wouldn't have to sweat it anymore, would he?

J

jaegibbs

Bravo8 said:
Tell him not to worry, and keep his plants. That way when the police (or Feds, who may have authority since it involves some Interstate commerce law) show up with a warrant, they'll bust him for the plants.

Seriously, with the info you provided we have no idea of whether they have enough PC to obtain a search warrant.
The first part was uncalled for. :(

I'd be more than happy to add info, I just need to know what to tell you.

Bravo8

How was it uncalled for?

Number 1, I meant it in jest. I realize one cannot necessarily judge that from an internet forum, but I was just busting chops.

Number 2, your friend is knowingly and intentionally breaking the law. As such, he deserves to be caught. He may not agree with the law prohibiting the possession or cultivation of dope, but the law is there. Fight to change it, but if you choose to break it, then be prepared to suffer the consequences.

You can't provide the needed info, unless you are somehow privy to the evidence and facts the police possess. Simply scanning the packages.....I'd say that's not enough to obtain a warrant. It is circumstantial evidence, and certainly seems to implicate your friend. After all, was he scanning them b/c it was fun?

My suggestion stands. Your friend gets rid of the plants, and when the po-po show up with a search warrant, he can sit back and relax.

J

jaegibbs

Bummer.

Guess destroying them is better than suffering the consequences and letting the police destroy them.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">