• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend getting railroaded?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgmkitty

What is the name of your state? California
My friend is the guitar manager of a music store, his boss gave him authority to sell guitars for whatever price he can to get rid of it if it isn't selling. Monday, he sold a broken guitar to himself really cheap - he has a receipt proving he bought it - but the receipt doesn't say he sold it to himself, he used his own company name (not sure if that matters), there's an invoice in their store computer. He has done deals like this before, with his bosses approval. His boss - the vice president of the store - had him arrested yesterday for grand theft. He's been sitting in Van Nuys jail since yesterday with $20,000 bail, he's never been arrested before - first offense. The cops didn't interview any other employees, didn't even tell him what he was being accused of or arrested for, or even if he did it! They took the word of 1 security guard who said he saw him leave the store with it. Then, the vp on a hunch, after my friend was taken away, went to his house, his roommate let him in, and took the guitar from his room! It's back at the store now! Also, according to the roommate, the vp searched his room and was looking at all his other equipment and called the store on his cell phone to see if any of his other equipment was from the store by checking serial #s. The roommate finally had to throw him out cuz he was looking through all his stuff. He has a receipt proving he paid for the guitar. There's no evidence he stole anything..it sounds like it's the vp who stole his property! Isn't it the cops who need to recover supposedly stolen property? They didn't even search his house..just took him away from work, and left. It doesn't sound like the cops handled this right. Fine, my friend did a shady deal, and he knows it, but illegal? Help!

Son of Slam

So, your friend (not your husband this time) takes that old beat up '54 Fender Strat, with the stupid looking poodle case off their hands for $20 and they complain?

stephenk

"Fine, my friend did a shady deal, and he knows it, but illegal?"

your friend is finding out the answer to that question while he sits in the Van Nuys jail.

C

cjabg

The police don't need evidence to arrest you. THe Vp didn't do anything wrong since the friend let him in and allowed that to happen. The guy was stealing, even if you call it a shady deal, and for the boss to have hime arrested like that I bet the boss knew more. I would chalk it up as a lesson learned. Hopefullythat will be the 1st and last arrest for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">