• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend unable to post bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotarrested

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

A friend of mine was arrested for simple battery, but he has no one to bail him out, not even his parents but i wont go into that. How long can they hold him for? He has no previous criminal record and he was arrested for a pretty minor domestic dispute (pushing someone).

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

A friend of mine was arrested for simple battery, but he has no one to bail him out, not even his parents but i wont go into that. How long can they hold him for? He has no previous criminal record and he was arrested for a pretty minor domestic dispute (pushing someone).
pretty minor huh?

yeah. okay.

he'll be in there until his first hearing date at the very least.

gotarrested

pretty minor huh?

yeah. okay.

he'll be in there until his first hearing date at the very least.
Everyone here seems quick to pass judgement on people they dont know. There were circumstances. You can't say you've never pushed anyone.

How long does it take to get a hearing?

Antigone*

Everyone here seems quick to pass judgement on people they dont know. There were circumstances. You can't say you've never pushed anyone.

How long does it take to get a hearing?
Hold the phone: The response Isis gave you was 100% accurate.

Putting your hands on someone who does not want to be touched is not minor. He should have his first hearing within a few days. It is called an arraignment.

Check your emotion at the door if you want answers!

gotarrested

Hold the phone: The response Isis gave you was 100% accurate.

Putting your hands on someone who does not want to be touched is not minor. He should have his first hearing within a few days. It is called an arraignment.

Check your emotion at the door if you want answers!
Did i claim that his response was inaccurate? No. I thank you two for your information.

Anyway, in response to what you said. I felt a little offended by what seemed to be a snide remark, it's natural, no?

And sure, violence is wrong. But we've all been 18. If someone is in your face and they piss you off enough, you'll probably push them. I dont regard pushing someone as grounds to lock them up. This is my opinion.

Antigone*

Did i claim that his response was inaccurate? No. I thank you two for your information.

Anyway, in response to what you said. I felt a little offended by what seemed to be a snide remark, it's natural, no?

And sure, violence is wrong. But we've all been 18. If someone is in your face and they piss you off enough, you'll probably push them. I dont regard pushing someone as grounds to lock them up. This is my opinion.
Your opinion means diddley when it comes to the legal ramifications of your friend's case.

And, if you got a little snark with your free advice, consider yourself lucky, at least it was accurate :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Was this someone a live in boyfriend, girlfriend, co-parent of a child? If so, this "simple"battery becomes domestic violence and a number of other flares go up that could impede his freedom.

When he goes for arraignment, his attorney can argue for reduced bail or even a release on his own recognizance. If he is not released O/R and cannot raise bail, then if the charges are filed he will remain in jail.

gotarrested

Was this someone a live in boyfriend, girlfriend, co-parent of a child? If so, this "simple"battery becomes domestic violence and a number of other flares go up that could impede his freedom.

When he goes for arraignment, his attorney can argue for reduced bail or even a release on his own recognizance. If he is not released O/R and cannot raise bail, then if the charges are filed he will remain in jail.
Thanks for the helpful response. Yes, he is the child and the "victim" was a parent. He has no money for an attorney, will he be appointed one at the hearing? He was only charged with simple battery, not domestic violence, and i doubt the parent has any intention of testifying against him.

I know it's hard to guess but assuming he's had a clean record until now, what are the chances that they'll release him on his own recognizance?

Last edited:

CdwJava

He has no money for an attorney, will he be appointed one at the hearing?
If he has no assets or insufficient income,he should be eligible for an appointed attorney.

i doubt the parent has any intention of testifying against him.
The parent will have no choice but to testify if subpoenaed.

I know it's hard to guess but assuming he's had a clean record until now, what are the chances that they'll release him on his own recognizance?
Impossible for me to assess what might happen in a courtroom in another state. Out here he would stand a better chance if he had a job. The key is how comfortable the court might feel that he will appear at court for the next hearing, and how much of a danger to the victim or others he might be.

gotarrested

We called the jail today and apparantly he's still in "intake", because the jail is full. What's intake, do they have beds there? It would suck if he's been sleeping on the floor for 2 days

CdwJava

We called the jail today and apparantly he's still in "intake", because the jail is full. What's intake, do they have beds there? It would suck if he's been sleeping on the floor for 2 days
They may have beds there,they may not. What it means is that he is still on a lower floor where they do processing and not where they house the inmates. It likely he means he is on a mat on the floor sharing space with a half dozen or more other guys until cells open up.

Antigone*

They may have beds there,they may not. What it means is that he is still on a lower floor where they do processing and not where they house the inmates. It likely he means he is on a mat on the floor sharing space with a half dozen or more other guys until cells open up.
Certainly not the Ritz Carlton, huh Carl:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">