• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FTA child support hearing and arrest warrants in LA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Twife829

My fiance was arrested and extradited from FL to Louisiana last week. They have him in a Failure to Appear at a child support hearing back in 2008. We had no clue about this hearing but they still picked him up. I was told that when he gets back to LA they will set up a hearing and then he will either get 90 days or have to pay off his arrears. We can't afford to pay his arrears so he will have to do the time. Is 90 days correct or can he get more or less?

Please help me figure this out, I am trying to figure out how long I have to do things on my own with our two toddlers.

Antigone*

My fiance was arrested and extradited from FL to Louisiana last week. They have him in a Failure to Appear at a child support hearing back in 2008. We had no clue about this hearing but they still picked him up. I was told that when he gets back to LA they will set up a hearing and then he will either get 90 days or have to pay off his arrears. We can't afford to pay his arrears so he will have to do the time. Is 90 days correct or can he get more or less?

Please help me figure this out, I am trying to figure out how long I have to do things on my own with our two toddlers.
Here is the problem. WE did't have to have a clue about this - this is HIS problem. WE don't have to pay arrears - HE has to pay arrears.

HE needs to figure out a way to pay what he owes. There is nothing for you to figure out here as this is his problem and aside from you paying his debt for him, there is nothing you can do.

Isis1

i hate to be the one to break this to you, but whether or not dad has money to pay the arrears, just because he chooses to do the jail time, won't make those arrears go away. they'll send him to jail on the contempt charge, then issue him a new due date for the still ever growing interest arrears then he'll have to pay a lump sum before THAT new due date. and then if he doesn't pay, back to jail he goes.

looks like you'll be doing things on your own for awhile. if you are not working, you should start. if you are working, you may need two jobs. personally, i wouldn't shell out a dime to pay any of his support OR his attorney fees.

Antigone*

i hate to be the one to break this to you, but whether or not dad has money to pay the arrears, just because he chooses to do the jail time, won't make those arrears go away. they'll send him to jail on the contempt charge, then issue him a new due date for the still ever growing interest arrears then he'll have to pay a lump sum before THAT new due date. and then if he doesn't pay, back to jail he goes.

looks like you'll be doing things on your own for awhile. if you are not working, you should start. if you are working, you may need two jobs. personally, i wouldn't shell out a dime to pay any of his support OR his attorney fees.
The sad thing for all the children involved is that he went and had more kids when he couldn't or wouldn't afford the kids he already had.

Isis1

The sad thing for all the children involved is that he went and had more kids when he couldn't or wouldn't afford the kids he already had.
bummer. :( so not only with those second children be getting a small peice of the pie, but chances are, that pie will contain not a dollar since dad wasn't paying it anyway....

geez, OP. you really didn't see this coming?

Twife829

i hate to be the one to break this to you, but whether or not dad has money to pay the arrears, just because he chooses to do the jail time, won't make those arrears go away. they'll send him to jail on the contempt charge, then issue him a new due date for the still ever growing interest arrears then he'll have to pay a lump sum before THAT new due date. and then if he doesn't pay, back to jail he goes..
Oh yes I know the arrears will not go away, I am just curious as to if he does decide to take the jail time, how much could they give him.

Isis1

Oh yes I know the arrears will not go away, I am just curious as to if he does decide to take the jail time, how much could they give him.
up to 90 days the first time around, or if he magically comes up with the lump sum requested of him, the minute it gets paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">