• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fugative status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nana1

What is the name of your state? virginia

i got a dui back in 1996. was found guilty in absentee with fines and suspended sentences. I then moved out of the state and was gone for 7 years and recently moved back to virginia. While looking at past court ases on line I came accross 2 that said I am on fugative statis. Does this mean that there is still a warrant for me and is there a statute of limitation on it? any information would be greatly appriciated.

stephenk

there is no statute of limitations on a warrant, especially for a person who was convicted and never served their time.

you better pray you never get pulled over by the police or have any enemies call the police to let them know where you work or live.

N

nana1

stephenk said:
there is no statute of limitations on a warrant, especially for a person who was convicted and never served their time.

you better pray you never get pulled over by the police or have any enemies call the police to let them know where you work or live.
when i moved back to this state is when i found out about being tried in my absense and the verdict. I had no prior knowledge of it. I guess my question really is if it says actice case does that mean I am still considered a fugitive and should I try to get this settled. it says i have 2 six months sentences with both of them 5 months suspended. would 2 months be all I serve or would it be the full year?

C

cmurray

You guys shouldn't practice law without knowing the law. Warrants can be recalled and every year thousands of warrants are recalled because of lack of due diligence. Each county is different and larger case loads in larger counties wipe out more than smaller ones. Don't hold your breathe though, due diligence is more of problem in larger communities, than smaller ones and really depends on the case loads in the county of your offense.

Find out how much the bail is on your warrant and and arrive prepared to pay it. Bail is usually equal to 'payment in full' of past fines and penalties. Pay the fines and move on and you should be clear. Besides you said 'suspended sentence' in absentia. Due diligence covers absentia. If they don't try to serve you, you can motion that the warrant is recalled. But time could be tolling while your away.

If you don't pay it you may find a public record on your credit report that will seem worse than spending time with 'Bubba'.

C

cscjta

In Virginia a one month sentence means you serve fifteen days (one-half of sentence). Two one-month sentences means you have one month to serve. Turn yourself in and get it over with, unless you want to look over your shoulder the rest of your stay here.
Or check with a defense attorney - there might be problems with the sentence since it was imposed without you being present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">