• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fugitive charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbrigham65

What is the name of your state? Michgan

After receiveing a DUI Drugs in Illinois, I returned on three occasions to contest the charges. Every time, I was urged by my public defender to accept a plea bargain. Every time, I refused, and every time I was made to wait outside until court was over only to receive a notice of another court date.

After not being able to attend the susequent hearing (the court was unwilling to postpone - no communication from attorney), a felony warrant was entered into the computer. I was arrested in Michigan on the warrant, jailed for 4 days, then released on P.R. bond with instructions to return to Illinois and clear the charges. I was given a date to return to the Michigan court and prove the charges have been dealt with in Illinois. I haven't been able to accommodate the 8 - 10 hour trip, mainly because of financial reasons. What is my responsibility to Michigan? What can I do to buy some time to deal with this? Do I have a legal obligation to Michigan in this matter? What am I facing going BACK in front of the Michigan judge with this Illinois situation unresolved?
:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well if you were given an order to return to Michigan and prove the charges have been dealt with you better do that or you can find a warrant out for your arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">