• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furnishing Alcohol to Minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jyan7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I am a 19-yr old server. Without checking ID, I served alcohol to a minor who was a volunteer for the department of alcohol enforcement. I got a citation from the police and my court date is May 19.

Is it a criminal or civil offense?
And how do I possibly get probation before judgement? Is it too late now?
I am also a student, do I get a public defender for free and how long does it take to assign me one?

Thank you so much

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I am a 19-yr old server. Without checking ID, I served alcohol to a minor who was a volunteer for the department of alcohol enforcement. I got a citation from the police and my court date is May 19.

Is it a criminal or civil offense?
And how do I possibly get probation before judgement? Is it too late now?
I am also a student, do I get a public defender for free and how long does it take to assign me one?

Thank you so much
I looked at the Maryland Code, and this is what I found.

I found this on the following website: Legal Resources

I could be wrong, as I am not an attorney.

Good Luck!

§ 12-108. Sales to minors and intoxicated persons prohibited.

(a) In general.-

(1) A licensee licensed under this article, or any employee of the licensee, may not sell or furnish any alcoholic beverages at any time:

(i) To a person under 21 years of age for the underage person's own use or for the use of any other person; or

(ii) To any person who, at the time of the sale, or delivery, is visibly under the influence of any alcoholic beverage.

(2) Any licensee or any employee of the licensee who is charged with a violation of this subsection shall receive a summons to appear in court on a certain day to answer the charges placed against that person. The person charged may not be required to post bail bond pending trial in any court of this State.

(3) (i) A licensee or employee of the licensee violating any of the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, is subject to:

1. The penalties provided by § 16-503 of this article; and

2. In Calvert County, if the violator is:

A. A licensee, a fine not exceeding $200; or

B. An employee of a licensee, a fine not exceeding $250.

(ii) A licensee or employee of the licensee who is charged with selling or furnishing any alcoholic beverages to a person under 21 years of age may not be found guilty of a violation of this subsection, if the person establishes to the satisfaction of the jury or the court sitting as a jury that the person used due caution to establish that the person under 21 years of age was not, in fact, a person under 21 years of age if a nonresident of the State.

§ 16-503. General penalty.

Any person violating the provisions of this article for which no penalty, other than the suspension or revocation of a license or permit, is provided, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be subject to a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) or to imprisonment for not more than two years in the House of Correction, or jail, or both fined and imprisoned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">