• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ga search warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ochiatl

What is the name of your state? georgia

A former friend called the police because she has some mental issues and told them that I had a fraudulent renewal sticker on my car. She also told them that I had drugs in my home and that I was a drug dealer. The police came to my home with a search warrant for the sticker and for my computer and any paper work having to deal with Ga tag decals. I was in the shower when they were at the door so I did not hear anyone at the door. When I got out of the shower, I heard some loud commotion downstairs and a lot of yelling. I was really scared and all I had on was a towel. I went to the top of the stairs and was greeted by several police with guns pointed directly at me. I am 9 months pregnant. I asked them what they were doing in my home and who were they looking for. They stated they had a search warrant. My daughter came running into the hallway, she is 2, and they pointed the guns at her. I was backed into my bedroom and I asked if I could at least get dressed. The officers refused at least turn their heads so I could put on some clothing. I asked to see the warrant. I was told told in a minute. After I dressed, I again asked to see the warrant. I was taken downstairs and was given the warrant. I asked them how they entered my home. The no knock provision was not granted. They stated that the garage was unlocked. I do not believe this. I noticed that my screens on my windows were all on the ground in the back of my house. They proceeded to ransack my home. They went through everything including my dirty clothing, fridge and then some. They ransacked my daughters room and threw her toys all over the floor, threw all my clothing in my closet on the floor. I was arrested for a warrant from 4 years ago for a charge we thought had been dismissed. Apparently superior court dropped the charge and state court picked it up and forgot to notify me, my attorney of record and my bonding agent. The charge was a misdemeanor in another county. The judge in that county was really angry that they arrested me in my condition for something so stupid and immediately released me. The search warrant was specific as to what they could look for and what they could take.

These officers took things that were not listed on the warrant. They opened every letter of my mail, whether addressed to me or not. Including promotional mail from MCI and such. They opened all of my bills, which I do not open as I pay them over the internet. This was not granted under the search warrant. Needless to say that no drugs were found in my home. They also took a handgun, which they have been trying to return that belonged to my fiances cousin. They actually brought it back and gave it to my neighbors son! Was this search illegal? Can they enter your home without you knowing they were there? It is obivious they were looking for something else other than a sticker for a car, because of where and what they search. Isnt it illegal for someone to open your mail? Obviously there is not going to be a sticker in a credit card, mortgage or utility bill. Also, I might add that the locks on my windows were broken as well as my screens. What recourse do I have? They have charged me with forgery for the sticker, since they say they saw it on our car. Do officers have the right to go beyond the scope of the search warrant. They took a lot of papers, such as my GA department of labor paperwork, bond paper work and loan documents.

ochiatl

I wanted to add that this former friend has been harrassing me for 6 months and told me that she was going to do this. I didnt believe her. I am now filing charges against her for harrassment and stalking and the same investigator in charge of the search of my home is taking the complaint. He has also apologized for the mess they made of my home, but everyone seems to have lost their memory about the screens on my windows and locks being broken as well as opening my bills.

Son of Slam

ochiatl said:
but everyone seems to have lost their memory about the screens on my windows and locks being broken as well as opening my bills.

And you seem to think it is OK to evade taxes by forging a registration sticker.

ochiatl

No I do not think its okay to avoid paying taxes. That has nothing to do with the "legal" questions that I asked.

ochiatl

Charges Dropped

After several months of waiting for them to tell me that this was all nonsense, they finally dropped the charges. They wanted me to press charges against the woman who called and made the accusations for harrassment, but I was done with the entire situation. Even though they said that they would replace the screens and pay for the repairs, I have heard nothing. Should I ask them again, or am I just wasting my time? I do not understand how someone can just call in and make an accusation, and the police will waste tax dollars and time without investigating the claim first. I have only seen this happen here in Georgia. Now I have to go down to get all of my things that never should have been removed in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">