• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting a job with pending felonies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsheer

hey all...wasn't sure if this was the right forum but i figured this was the best place to post my question. my partner was involved in a suit that should have been thrown out to begin with, as the search and seizure of his car and his arrest were all illegal, but here we are two and a half years later and he still has pending felonies and this still has yet to actually go to trial. he has been undergoing a lot of stress over this period, understandably, because despite having to pay for mounting court costs he is unable to get a job with pending felonies. does anyone have any suggestions for him? it's so frustrating. thanks to everyone in advance.

outonbail

First, what is the name of your state?

Second, why can't he get a job if he hasn't been convicted of a felony?

Most employers only ask about felony convictions.

Third, when you say, "my partner was involved in a suit", are you referring to a civil lawsuit?

Finally, if you're referring to a criminal case, the only reason he hasn't gone to trial after two and a half years, is because he (or his attorney) must be waving his right to a speedy trial.

If you're not in the U.S.A., this information may not apply.
You see, there is a good reason why you are asked to provide the name of your state,,,,

lsheer

thanks for responding; sorry about forgetting to put my state. we're in georgia. he's been applying for jobs throughout this entire period and despite having a really solid resume/background, he's never gotten any callbacks or inquiries after his follow-ups. i guess i wrongly worded "suit", it is not a civil lawsuit. he did end up waving his right to a speedy trial back in october so that he'd be able to file an appeal, but that was a close to the two-year mark even back then.

CdwJava

It could be because the economy is bad.

Maybe it IS because of the nature of the charges pending against him. In a competitive and down economy, would you want to go with the guy who might be facing prison time and certainly will be distracted by court for a while, or go with a guy without such baggage?

Has he called to ask these prospective employers why he was not hired? Maybe they will tell him why.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">