• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend in Jail.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Finman4

What is the name of your state? ga
my girlfriend go pulled for speeding on Wed nite 1/11/06 and they pulled a warrent from the state of AL on her and have had her in jail since Wed. I found out she has a $275 dollar check @ walmart in July 2004. She says its not her and that she did not write this check.... she has never lived or spent anytime in the state AL. Today is day 6th....no charges in GA. She has signed the wavier for release. She has never been in jail. This is a country jail and is not a good situation.

outonbail

Today is day 6th....no charges in GA.
Since the warrant is from the state of Alabama, Georgia would not be filing charges on her, they would only be holding her for a set number of days in which Alabama has to extradite her back to Alabama to answer to the charges.

I'm not sure how long this is, may be from 15 to 30 days. Perhaps someone else can provide you with the exact time frame.
After that time, if she is not picked up by Alabama, she will be released and the cycle will begin all over again the next time she's stopped.

Kane

You didn't say whether there was a bond set on the out of state warrant. If there is, pay the bond. If not, she has a problem.

One possibility is to contact a lawyer in the county where the warrant was issued, and see if he can help you. Often, in theft by check cases, the state will dismiss the charges if the check is paid.

Otherwise, she'll have to wait until AL decides whether they're going to extradite her (pick her up and take her to where the warrant was issued.)

The local jail is required to hold her for a reasonable amount of time to give AL a chance to come get her. Where I live, it's ten days. Call the local jail and ask how long it is where you live.

Edit: and bail is right. If they let her go because they don't hear back from AL, that will not cancel the warrant. She needs to get the warrant taken care of regardless.

Last edited:

Finman4

Kane said:
You didn't say whether there was a bond set on the out of state warrant. If there is, pay the bond. If not, she has a problem.

One possibility is to contact a lawyer in the county where the warrant was issued, and see if he can help you. Often, in theft by check cases, the state will dismiss the charges if the check is paid.

Otherwise, she'll have to wait until AL decides whether they're going to extradite her (pick her up and take her to where the warrant was issued.)

The local jail is required to hold her for a reasonable amount of time to give AL a chance to come get her. Where I live, it's ten days. Call the local jail and ask how long it is where you live.

Edit: and bail is right. If they let her go because they don't hear back from AL, that will not cancel the warrant. She needs to get the warrant taken care of regardless.
Yes, its 10 days here as well. And yes again the DA investergater in AL says they will dismiss the charges if paid, but cliamed they would need to come get her. Although this is an admission of guild....she claims (recently through collete calls) she did not do it.... it looks though now that proving will be even more expensive.

Two Bit

Does she have a bond on the speeding charge? When I arrest fugitives off of traffic charges, I always booked them on the traffic violation too, so that they'd have to post a bond before the other county could come and get them.

You might want to check on that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">