• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving testimony in a multi-nation investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maelstrom

I am in TN. I have belonged to an online group for a number of years and made close friends. In the last year and a half one of my friends started talkiing with a young girl. The man (39 yrs old) lived in Ontario Canada, the girl (13 yrs old) lived in Michigan.

I befriended the young girl and got her know her quite well. On multiple occasions she told me that her and the older gentlemen were falling in love with each other over the internet. I warned the young girl not to get involved and to leave him alone. She of course, did not listen to me. She was a social outcast and someone was finally giving her all the attention she could get.

I hadn't spoken to either of them in several months, and the man had dissapeared from the internet about a month ago. I just found out last night, via a news article on the internet that he had been arrested last month for soliciting sex and trying to set up a meeting with her.

I have personal knowledge of their friendship and knew both parties (through the internet) pretty well. (I guess not as well as I should have though.) It breaks my heart that he treated her that way, and I am of course so proud of her for contacting the police.

My question is this - I want to help make sure this man never does anything like this again so I am willing to cooperate with the police. However, I do not have any physical evidence or chat transcripts, just personal testimony. I also do not want to be subpeoned to Canada of course. How can I help the investigators and what pitfalls do I need to be aware of in giving testimony in a situation like this?

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

First of all I am disgusted that this went on until the girl finally called the police. YOU were well aware that a 39 year old man was persuing a relationship with the 13 year old.

I would suggest you finally do something constructive and calll the police on this matter.

Even though you do not have any chat records, you may be able to provide some useful info if you know that the wannabe child molester was:
a) chatting up any other potential victims
b) posting from other accunts that the police may not know about
c) involved in any local activities (cub scout leader, etc) that may warrant further investigation.

maelstrom

Sure I knew... but it is not a crime for a 39 year old man and 13 year old girl to talk to each other. There was no sense in reporting THAT to the police. What could the police have done at that point? Nothing...

I took every step of precaution I could take to make sure that this didn't happen. I had talks with the girl and the man to try to make sure things didn't get out of hand.

I have called the Canadian police and am waiting for them to return my call so I can help in any way possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">