• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

God's Law v. Man's Law: A lesson for Louisiana is coming

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerD

http://www.nola.com/crime/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/07/priest_confession_testimony_lo.html

The Louisiana Supreme Court held the privilege of the confessional belongs to the penitent not the priest. However, a priest that violates the sanctity of the confessional is subject to excommunication. Forcing a priest to violate a basic tenant of his faith or violate the law is wrong.

This could be the next big religious liberty case. Thoughts?

DC

quincy

http://www.nola.com/crime/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/07/priest_confession_testimony_lo.html

The Louisiana Supreme Court held the privilege of the confessional belongs to the penitent not the priest. However, a priest that violates the sanctity of the confessional is subject to excommunication. Forcing a priest to violate a basic tenant of his faith or violate the law is wrong.

DC
Detroit area author, William X. Kienzle, addressed this in his novel, "The Rosary Murders." :)

Just Blue

DC
Not a LEGAL thought...just a MORAL one. I have a VERY hard time understanding the idea of "confession" and getting "Gods Grace" per a priest. If a person confesses to molesting a child, murder or some other horrible crime againt an innocent ...How can a man on EARTH give him/her GOD's Grace and obsolve him/her of that sin?? :confused:

BTW: Did you tell Kitty that it was adopted?? :confused: If so...Was kitty mad that you withheld that info?? :D

TigerD

Not a LEGAL thought...just a MORAL one. I have a VERY hard time understanding the idea of "confession" and getting "Gods Grace" per a priest. If a person confesses to molesting a child, murder or some other horrible crime againt an innocent ...How can a man on EARTH give him/her GOD's Grace and obsolve him/her of that sin?? :confused:
In this case, it was the 12-year-old that made statements to the priest. Her family wants to call him to the stand to support her statements. Addressing your point - I don't know. I know that through Jesus all things are possible and absolution is possible. But Jesus was a much better person than I.

BTW: Did you tell Kitty that it was adopted?? :confused: If so...Was kitty mad that you withheld that info?? :D
Not really. We've tried to have that talk. But he has health issues. He's diabetic. (Yes, I buy insulin for my cat and inject him twice a day) And I don't want to upset him too much. But I think he knows because he doesn't look anything like his brothers or sisters. Although, his brother, my 5-year-old, did admit to using the little box instead of the toilet last week. That has to be very confusing for Dash Bear Bat. Lord knows it was for me.

DC

Ladyback1

Not really. We've tried to have that talk. But he has health issues. He's diabetic. (Yes, I buy insulin for my cat and inject him twice a day) And I don't want to upset him too much. But I think he knows because he doesn't look anything like his brothers or sisters. Although, his brother, my 5-year-old, did admit to using the little box instead of the toilet last week. That has to be very confusing for Dash Bear Bat. Lord knows it was for me.

DC
ok....that's my laugh for the day!:D

Just Blue

In this case, it was the 12-year-old that made statements to the priest. Her family wants to call him to the stand to support her statements. Addressing your point - I don't know. I know that through Jesus all things are possible and absolution is possible. But Jesus was a much better person than I.

DC
I was told many MANY years ago to not discuss religion or politics. So I won't...much.******\\

I will say that DBB should not be told ...he has enough issues without this emotional hit...what with the diabeties and his brother using his litter box...poor kitty.
:)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

If you had been raised Catholic, you might understand. It's part of their Dogma; just as 'priesthood of the believer' is a Dogma of the Protestant church (not counting Episcopalian/CoE-they're Catholic Lite). As far as absolution for horrible crimes, I think it would go a little further than "Say 10 Hail Marys and 5 Our Fathers, go and sin no more". :cool:

Just Blue

If you had been raised Catholic, you might understand. It's part of their Dogma; just as 'priesthood of the believer' is a Dogma of the Protestant church (not counting Episcopalian/CoE-they're Catholic Lite). As far as absolution for horrible crimes, I think it would go a little further than "Say 10 Hail Marys and 5 Our Fathers, go and sin no more". :cool:
I just don't "get" how a man (preist) has the "right" to talk for God or His Son. Seems a bit ...off...to me.

And this is where I may start offending others so I jus' go on my way...:eek:

Dave1952

I don't believe that, as the article says, the Catholic church will run this through all of the necessary legal channels to try and get a court, even the US Supreme Court, to find in favor of the "Seal of the Confessional".
The seal has been dogma for around a thousand years. So,even if the courts do not side with the church, the priests may very well refuse to testify. Putting a few priests in jail in a State where there is a strong Catholic church and an elected Supreme Court may result in a new Supreme Court. Judges serve for 10 yrs but the church may be patient.
The Church has a better chance of staring down the courts in Louisiana than in the federal system.

CdwJava

While I understand the sentiment that says that priests and any minister/pastor/religious confessor should be required to reveal what they know, I also support the tenets of one's faith that might say that receiving such a confession is sacred. I tend to agree that priests and ministers of all kinds that hold the confession as a sacrament will defy the court's command to reveal what they have been told in confidence. And until they remove privilege from attorneys and even spouses, I can't see a public outpouring of support to jail confessors.

I'mTheFather

The Catholic church allows the seal of confession to be broken with the penitent's permission. I don't understand the diocese's objection if the girl has given that permission or requested that the priest testify. The article wasn't clear on whether or not she actually did, but it sounds like she may have.

CdwJava

The Catholic church allows the seal of confession to be broken with the penitent's permission. I don't understand the diocese's objection if the girl has given that permission or requested that the priest testify. The article wasn't clear on whether or not she actually did, but it sounds like she may have.
And that's fine if the penitent is okay with it. If not, then the Church will do what it will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">