• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got An ACD: But Do I Still Have An Arrest Record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brama

In 2005 I was arrested while living in NY and was later at court given an ACD. I stayed out of trouble these past years and I recently called the Clerk of the Court and verified that my case is in fact sealed.

I've since moved to NJ and am seeking employment (nothing military or Government/Police related) and am confused about what to say if asked if I was ever arrested. I've read conflicting opinions and really need to know some correct info.

-Since my record has been sealed does that also mean that I no longer have an arrest record that's traceable and am free to say that I have never been arrested on an application? Again, I've read that the sealed record after an ACD also includes the arrest being sealed but I also read the opposite.

Thanks for any help.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You WERE arrested so why would you think it's okay to lie about that?

There is nothing to seal - that doesn't apply here. You were arrested and the charge was dismissed. That's exactly what will show up on your criminal history.

Brama

You WERE arrested so why would you think it's okay to lie about that?

There is nothing to seal - that doesn't apply here. You were arrested and the charge was dismissed. That's exactly what will show up on your criminal history.
I'm just trying to figure out if thats true because Im getting conflicting information. I've read the following:

"answered 3 years ago. From the NY Bar Association:
"Any arrest which is not pending or did not result in a conviction is not considered an arrest according to New York criminal laws. N.Y. Executive Law Section 296, subdivision 16, prohibits such a question with limited exceptions, for example on applications to become a policeman. A file that has been sealed also allows the applicant to answer no. New York Criminal Procedure Law Section 160.50 which requires the sealing states that when a criminal action terminates in a person's favor all records shall be sealed "and not made available to any person. An ACD is a form of dismissal of charges and is not a conviction."

And I also read the following from one of the Law boards:

"Though I agree that one must always be honest, if your case is already dismissed and sealed as a result of a ACD then you may legitimately answer that you were never arrested. I am providing the relevant sections of CPL 170.56 for you. Specifically note subparagraph number 4 where it states that the arrest is a NULLITY.

(3). Upon or after dismissal of such charges against a defendant not previously convicted of a crime, the court shall order that all official records and papers, relating to the defendant's arrest and prosecution, whether on file with the court, a police agency, or the New York state division of criminal justice services, be sealed and, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (d) of subdivision one of section 160.50 of this chapter, not made available to any person or public or private agency; except, such records shall be made available under order of a court for the purpose of determining whether, in subsequent proceedings, such person qualifies under this section for a dismissal or adjournment in contemplation of dismissal of the accusatory instrument.
(4). Upon the granting of an order pursuant to subdivision three, the arrest and prosecution shall be deemed a nullity and the defendant shall be restored, in contemplation of law, to the status he occupied before his arrest and prosecution."

I also called the precinct where I was arrested who put me through to the records dept. where I was told my arrest record was sealed and wouldnt pop up on any search due to the fact that it's sealed. She said it would only show up if I was going for a police type job or trying to get a gun but not for any civilian type job. So I really don't know what to think.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You don't like the answers you got down the street; you don't like the answers you're getting here.

Bottom line; pay an attorney to answer you.

HighwayMan

I arrested someone last Saturday night for a DWI. I ran a criminal history on her which is standard procedure. She showed up with a misdemeanor arrest from 1972 for which the disposition was an ACD. The arrest is still recorded along with the disposition of the charges.

There are several online services around that you can use to run a criminal history on yourself to see what is there. Be advised that this may not be the same thing that a law enforcement or similar agency will see when THEY run a criminal history check on you.

Bottom line is you got arrested. If asked on an application if you were ever arrested you're taking a chance if you lie.

You Are Guilty

Incidentally, NY Executive Law 296 only prohibits certain New York employers from asking about arrests. It has no bearing whatsoever on someone from New Jersey.

Brama

I arrested someone last Saturday night for a DWI. I ran a criminal history on her which is standard procedure. She showed up with a misdemeanor arrest from 1972 for which the disposition was an ACD. The arrest is still recorded along with the disposition of the charges.

There are several online services around that you can use to run a criminal history on yourself to see what is there. Be advised that this may not be the same thing that a law enforcement or similar agency will see when THEY run a criminal history check on you.

Bottom line is you got arrested. If asked on an application if you were ever arrested you're taking a chance if you lie.

Thanks for your reply and for sharing your experience. Can you recommend any particular one of those online services that I can use to run a criminal history check?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your reply and for sharing your experience. Can you recommend any particular one of those online services that I can use to run a criminal history check?
Try http://bit.ly/13XYmnp

Brama

Incidentally, NY Executive Law 296 only prohibits certain New York employers from asking about arrests. It has no bearing whatsoever on someone from New Jersey.
Thanks. I was mostly posting the specific law quotes to show the parts which state that the arrest is nullified after an ACD and that (so it says) I can answer "no" to the arrest question.

The truthful answer would be that you were arrested. Depending on the nature of the job for which you are applying, you may want to own up to it and the subsequent disposition (ACD). After all, it happened 8 years ago.

Publicly available (paid) online criminal searches are hit or miss. I know several people with definite misdemeanor convictions who turned up negative on their searches. Employers often use specialized background-check firms with access to better databases, and may (for higher fees) search local courthouses in your recent counties of residence. And, as already mentioned, law enforcement and government entities have the best resources. In other words, your potential employer's background check may be different from what you find out on your own.

Your best bet would be to check for your criminal record on the FBI and NY databases. Just Google for the paperwork.

Brama

The truthful answer would be that you were arrested. Depending on the nature of the job for which you are applying, you may want to own up to it and the subsequent disposition (ACD). After all, it happened 8 years ago.

Publicly available (paid) online criminal searches are hit or miss. I know several people with definite misdemeanor convictions who turned up negative on their searches. Employers often use specialized background-check firms with access to better databases, and may (for higher fees) search local courthouses in your recent counties of residence. And, as already mentioned, law enforcement and government entities have the best resources. In other words, your potential employer's background check may be different from what you find out on your own.

Your best bet would be to check for your criminal record on the FBI and NY databases. Just Google for the paperwork.
Thanks for your help. :O) I have thought about just telling the truth if/when Im asked about ever being arrested but you know it wont be looked upon too favorably no matter what the reason was. I suppose I could make up any reason for being arrested if I wanted to.
Yes, the truthful answer would be that I was arrested but I was basically trying to figure out if the arrest would ever show up on an employers check or did the ACD render that not possible.

HighwayMan

Some employers do no complete background checks until well after employment is started.

If you lie, be prepared to be terminated 6 months (for instance) down the road if your employer finds any discrepancies.

Brama

Some employers do no complete background checks until well after employment is started.

If you lie, be prepared to be terminated 6 months (for instance) down the road if your employer finds any discrepancies.

OK, thanks. Do background checks show exactly why I was arrested/give the reason or just that there was an arrest and/or sealed court case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">