• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got in an altercation..help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uprails82

Missouri 24 years old
I was involved in an incident about a week ago at a swimming pool when my buddy and another man got in a heated argument. (don't know the other man but my buddy did) I was staying out of it just kinda staying 6-10 feet back why they were in each others faces, and then the man started tapping my buddy on the chest numerous times and when it happened i kinda flipped out and threw my half empty beer can at him and told him to get out of his face and then as i was walking towards him i threw my little mini cooler at him also. I then got in his face and we were yelling back and forth. That was about the end of it. He then called the police and we left and went home. The police showed up at my buddies house where I went and we didn't answer the door. An officer called by buddies phone and I have the officers number but am scared to call him. Is this assault or am I going to go to jail. Whats gonna happen to me. I've never flipped out like that before and never have been in trouble. Thanks a lot for any answers. :(

CdwJava

Let me guess, alcohol was involved?

In any event, your buddy can pursue charges for battery against the other guy, and the other guy can pursue assault and/or battery charges against you.

No one can predict what might happen, or whether a DA might actually file on what is likely a fight between inebriated subjects. If everyone was sober, then everyone needs to grow up and cool off.

- Carl

seniorjudge

Hire a lawyer.

Then go to the cop shop with your lawyer and talk to the cops.

Sometimes in these drunken brawls, the cops charge everyone.

outonbail

Sometimes in these drunken brawls, the cops charge everyone.
Of course leaving the scene after this confrontation and hiding/avoiding contact with the police doesn't help your position any. Nor does the fact that he called the police and there was basically two against one.
If you don't want to speak to the police you're going to have to lay low for a while and hope that no one was able to identify you.
It's lots of fun having to look behind your back everywhere you go and wonder if your going to run into this guy again or worrying about if they discovered who you are and if a warrant will be issued for your arrest, you should really enjoy it.
Then there's the chance that your friend will give you up when they finally make contact with him,,, and they will.

BTW, I kinda love this line:
i kinda flipped out and threw my half empty beer can at him

uprails82

Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I'm just gonna call the officer up and get things figured out. I dont like feeling like I'm sneeking around all the time to avoid the police. I don't sleep well at night either. Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">