• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got "Jumped" by 2 dozen kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msiron

How about growing up. What weapons were in your car?

I find it hard to believe your responsible and OWN business and out doing stupid little man rumbling. Don't you know you can get shot? Arrested? Kill someone else?

Ozark_Sophist

The responsible, mature course of action would have been to notify the police of the pending fight. Of course, you could attempt a suit against the five kids (or their parents depending on the age of each) you claim damaged the vehicle, but their defense is simple. "It wasn't me--it was someone else" (of 20 to 25 kids present, how did you identify which five?). "He [you--the adult] came to our street and threatened us with a weapon--why yes judge, he was arrested and charged with possession of a weapon. And no, none of the 20 to 25 kids he alledges were on the street were charged."

And did you drive all the six on your "side" to the fight? You are fortunate you were only charged with what you were, particularly if any of them were minors. There was a case recently where a mother drove her kids to a fight where one of the participants was killed (if I'm recalling correctly). She was charged with murder as she was the adult. I know from personal experience that all it takes is a single blow (not even with a weapon) to kill or seriously maim.

Last edited:

xylene

Yor An Idyot

You didn't get jumped.

What were you thinking

"Brass Knuckles" LOL ROTFPMP

Maybe you can tell the judge they are a paperweight

CdwJava

Now I know that kids fight dirty and didnt want him to get hurt so I called up a couple of my buddies, we hopped in the car and headed over there to make sure it was a fair fight.
That shows prior intent to be involved in the fight, and even gathering the pals to go do some tail whipping. Sorry, but you are not an innocent party in all this.

Well you guessed it. As i go by it again they bash my car w/ bats,sledge hammers and pipes. Blowing out the headlights and causing about $5k in damages.
What a surprise ... you go for a fight and actually get into one. Unfortunately, you got caught on the losing end of things. Fortunately, you are still alive.

The cops questioned us, searched our vehicle. Noted the damages on the truck, and then found a pair of brass knuckles. I keep these in the car just for insurance(I actually forgot i had them tonight or i woulda hid them)
In my state possession of these can be a felony ... it's probably similar in your state as well.

(And you accused the other kids of not fighting fair?)

Now my question is, what do I do about the damages on my truck. The cops didnt catch any of the punk kids that did it, but in the report it does say that we were attacked by 20-25 kids. I cant have my insurance cover it because I only have one way coverage. I know exactly who the 5 kids were that actually hit the vehicle can I take them to court, or maybe even small claims? will my case hold up?
Yes, you can sue them for the damages. I don't see why the claim would not hold up. but the situation is not likely to gain a lot of support from the court or anyone else as it is obvious you did go there for a fight. However, you would still appear to have a claim for damages against these other kids. But, be careful, they might have another account of events ... perhaps you tried to run them over with the car ... perhaps you and your friends confronted them and they were "defending" themselves ... who knows what tale they might spin. Do you really want the whole story coming out in court?

And w/ my court date I figure I just gotta lay it out there for the judge and hope he/she lets me go easy for having the knuckles in my truck.
You realize that's a "guilty" plea, correct? And I don't see how forgetting they were there but admitting you usually carry them for "insurance" is going to gain you any points with the judge. But, it would appear they have you dead to rights anyway.

I would recommend you consult an attorney before court as this could be a serious offense in your state.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">