• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Jury proceeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TakenForGranted

What is the name of your state? NY

The DA has decided to present my case to a grand jury to see if they feel there is enough evidence to arrest me or not. The details are quite lengthy but all I need to know is what I am able to present to the grand jury when they do this? I was told that if I hire an attorney he/she is not able to speak during this but that the DA (prosecuting attorney is)? Will they have witnesses there to testify against me? Can I bring witnesses in to testify on my behalf? I was even told if they wanted to charge me that they could but do so in a way that would end up making it all be done with that day instead of going to a trial - how would that work? I have obviously never been though anything like this, and I shouldn't be going thru it now. My ex is lying about things to get custody of my children, it is his word against mine, but he and my other ex are teaming up together to make me look bad. There is not a lot I can do, it is mostly a civil case at best, but just want to know what my options and rights are at grand jury. Thanks for any help you can give! :confused:

racer72

Grand jury proceedings are not like a regular court. It is strictly the prosecution presenting evidence and the jurors making a decision as to whether charges should be persued. The defense generally cannot make any comments to the grand jury, that chance will be given to you in your trial if charges are brought against you. You likely have a better chance of not being charged with the prosecution presenting the case to a grand jury, it could mean the case against you is weak or flawed. You definitely need to talk to a local attorney, do it soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">