• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Grand Jury seems to be run very different than a regular jury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnharlin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The Grand Jury seems to have different rules than a regular petite jury.

I have been reading some old history books and news clips of the 1800s for California and they said, an attorney remarked to the judge, that it was common practice to have messages sent back and forth from the jury room to the defendants in a case.

I also read that defendants can screen Grand Jury members for bias and have them retired from the case so long as there were at least 12 members still available.

I don't really understand this Grand Jury procedure at all. Why should defendants in a case be allowed to send messages to jury members. Was it to find out how the jury was voting and who was voting for or against indictment. If so, wouldn't that leave jury members open as targets to be bribed. Messages are certainly not allowed to be passed back and forth in regular juries except to the judge.

There was even something in the late 1800s called a jury broker. They were people who would be hired to approach the most likely jury member to switch their votes by offering them cash or some other kind of reward. The whole idea as explained was that if you had 14 Grand Jury members and 12 were voting to indict and two not to, the defendants would find this out and then target the most likely person to accept a reward to change his vote so that the indictment would get ignored since a majority of 12, needed to indict, would not be reached.

The Grand Jury seems to have been run in a very different and more lose way than the strict way of a regular jury. But maybe reforms have been made and it is now run on a tighter ship.

Last edited:

latigo

Marvelous discovery and riveting bits of historical trivia, virtually galvanizing! (You must have been an "A+" student in civics.)

Someday you might even discover that this is a Q&A forum and not a tree stump.

johnharlin

That Was Uncalled For

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

That was really uncalled for. I took high school civics and there was not one word in there about the intricacies of the Grand Jury system.

My questions were, in a kind of round about way which it appears you didn't perceive, does the Grand Jury system allow defendants to screen jury members, how many can they screen out, are notes allowed to be past back and forth between defendants and the jury and what are the major differences in rules between a Grand Jury and a Petite Jury.

The way I wrote the question was from personal observations to let you know why I came up with these questions in the first place.

But don't worry, I'm not mad. I'm used to it. I sometimes have to go through life explaining to people why I even have to pee on a tree stump.

Last edited:

TigerD

But don't worry, I'm not mad. I'm used to it. I sometimes have to go through life explaining to people why I even have to pee on a tree stump.
Son, if you have had to explain why you pee on a tree stump to more than one person, you have made seriously flawed life choices. Put the garden snake away and go find a bathroom.

TD

CdwJava

My questions were, in a kind of round about way which it appears you didn't perceive, does the Grand Jury system allow defendants to screen jury members, how many can they screen out, are notes allowed to be past back and forth between defendants and the jury
No, none, and no.

and what are the major differences in rules between a Grand Jury and a Petite Jury.
Look here:

http://cgja.org/general-information

And, here:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/civilgrandjury.htm

Uh ... I imagine you do. Though, it might be a better idea NOT to.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Asking your questions succinctly without all of the nonsense commentary surrounding them would be an even better idea if you have any questions in the future.

johnharlin

So then it comes down to this

The Grand Jury system in California must have had some major reforms made from the 1860s to the present day. And I would like to find some written material somewhere explaining what those reforms were. I'll spend a few minutes looking tonight, though I don't believe I'll have any luck, but if anyone knows where to find such information I'd be thankful.

Proserpina

The Grand Jury system in California must have had some major reforms made from the 1860s to the present day. And I would like to find some written material somewhere explaining what those reforms were. I'll spend a few minutes looking tonight, though I don't believe I'll have any luck, but if anyone knows where to find such information I'd be thankful.
You're going to spend "a few minutes" trying to figure out how the California court system has changed over the past 100 + years?

Did you really just say that? You've just made my entire night. :cool:

johnharlin

No, you are making the wrong assumption. Looking for the material does not mean reading the material.

Someone might have written about the history of the Grand Jury system and its reforms in California. Sometimes a quick search will make a score so that is why I said a few minutes. Here I go again having to explain why I am pissing on the stump.

Do you really need to have an explanation for every word I say?

Last edited:

Proserpina

No, you are making the wrong assumption. Looking for the material does not mean reading the material.

Someone might have written about the history of the Grand Jury system and its reforms in California. Sometimes a quick search will make a score so that is why I said a few minutes. Here I go again having to explain why I am pissing on the stump.

No, dear. Carry on with your little stump. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We are not dentists. We do not pull teeth.

Ask your questions clearly and succinctly. Do not use round about methods to ask. Put all questions in the form of questions. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

We are not here to weed through a mass of rhetoric. Either be clear about what you want to know and why, or we will pass over your questions and go help someone who is able to make their questions understood.

Mnemosyne

Here you go, sport: http://bfy.tw/K16

Just Blue

Look up the Grand Jury History for yourself. This site is for current people that have legal issues. :)

Good Luck with your endeavors. :)

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">