• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spawn_x

What is the name of your state? California

What are the requirements to be arrested for grand theft (car)?

I want to pull a prank on a friend of mine by hotwiring his car and moving it, but want to make sure that if i am caught i wouldn't be violating ANY criminal charges, meaning that if I do get caught driving it or in the process of hot-wiring it, if my friend "ok's" it and doesn't press charges (he will not) i will be set free without any damage to my record or any fines.

again, not planning to actually steal it, just to play a prank on a friend.

Thanks

Son of Slam

This could be Unauthorized use of a Motor Vehicle, a misdemeanor.
Yes, I did read, but I'm thinking worse case. If you don't get caught are you going to keep on truckin'?

spawn_x

no, i just want to pull a good prank on him - definitely have better things to do than keep hot wiring cars :)

i'm 110% sure i'm not going to end up in a "unauthorized use of vehicle" because he's a close friend.

Thanks

calatty

Vehicle Code section 10851(a), driving or taking a vehicle without permission, a felony. I'd find another prank if I were you.

spawn_x

i doubt you understand my question..

how can i be charged with that if he says he let me ?

my question being.. how can i be charged with unlawfull driving if my friend says it wasn't..?

calatty

Did he give you permission to hotwire his car? What if you are caught in the act and go to jail? What if he reports his car missing? You probably would not convicted of anything, but is this prank really that funny that you should be taking any legal risks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">