• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds To Withdraw Guilty Plea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cranky

What are valid grounds to withdraw a negotiated guilty plea.
I recently plead guilty to simple battery and paid a $ 500.00 fine in exchange for Prosecutor dropping 4 DV cases.
Here is a short synopsis:
Public defender number one appears for first pre trial and promptly quits.
Second pre trial, public defender number two appears and promptly quits. I had never met or spoken to either before these appearances.
Judge number one orders me to defend myself pro se. State is seeking jail time.
I have judge number one removed for cause, for violating my rights to counsel.
Chief judge orders reassignment of Public Defender and new pretrial to be scheduled.
Both orders dissappear from public access computer files. The cases languish for 3 months with no activity.
I schedule a new pre trial through the secretary of the Chief judge. She tells me the orders for reassignment of the Public Defender and pre trial were inadvertantly destroyed by the clerks office.
Judge number two refuses to decide if I am represented by the public defenders office. He continues the pre-trial to another judge to decide.
State enters plea negotiations before the public defenders office issue has been decided and I accept their deal.
Can the state enter plea negotiations with me if I am represented by counsel? If I might be reprensented by counsel?

Some Random Guy

Based on your multiple public defenders, you are aware that you had the rights to have an attorney present during your questioning and plea negotiations. And yet, you chose to proceed without your attorney. Repeat- you chose.

Why would you want to continue this painfully long struggle with the prosecutor over a measly $500 fine. You will spend far more than that trying to get the case reopened (at which point, you will again be facing 4 DV charges). What's the point of this crusade?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">