• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment leads to extortion and PCS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaus

What is the name of your state?Colorado

I was bitten by a woman's dog 2 times. I never made an official report. I was nice and just told the girl to get the dog trained, pay for my pants and promise to never let it off its leash. A month after the 2nd bite, my brother was bitten.
These bites were painful and scary but did not require medical attention at a hospital. Both of us are now 'scared' of dogs that approach us on or off leash and frequently have to sternly address dog owners to control their animals.
After the third bite, the owner of the dog in question begged us not to file a police report and agreed to pay $200 to keep the incident private, pay for the pain of the bite, the torn pants, anxiety, etc.. She promised to bring the dog to a training school to change its behavior and to show us proof of this upon the completion of this training. The girl paid us $100 by check and said she would pay the other $100 in a few weeks. She was apologetic but at times she was very unapologetic saying that she would only have to pay $100 to the city for a ticket, citing the 3 bite law thinking that a dog is allowed three bites before any action is taken. (The 3 bite law allows for a dog to be destroyed after 3 documented bites) I was not very pleased but agreed that for $200 we would not file a report and would not seek any other sort of compensation, case closed. Three weeks went by and the girl did not make any effort to contact us. She lives 3 doors down the hall in my apt. building so recently I left a 'gentle' note on the door reminding her of her agreement/obligation to pay and asked her to get in touch to make arrangements. I said that she did not have to pay the whole $100 at once and we could work something out. No response. I left another note saying that I found it to be of poor character to take advantage of someone's good will that was bit by your dog and not fulfill your verbal agreement to pay. I asked in the letter for her to get in contact with us. No response. I left another note admonishing her for being nothing more than 'white trash' and told her that her behavior was reprehensible and that I would seek legal counsel and most likely file civil suit if she did not at least respond to work things out reasonably as would be expected. No response. A few days later I knocked on her door. I heard her inside talking with someone else and they pretended that they were not there. I left and returned minutes later and knocked again. This time she came to the door and told me that she was done with this, did not want to talk to me, 'it is over' and told me to go away and that any more attempts at contacting her would be viewed as harassment. I told her, through the closed door that I thought she was a scumbag and she should be ashamed and I left.
Less than an hour later the police knocked at my door. I answered thinking that I would be able to talk to them about the situation and possibly at least get them to request that the girl do something about her vicious dog. Not so. I was yanked forcibly against my will from my apt. into the hall, handcuffed with my hands behind my head, spoken to like a criminal, accused of extortion and searched. The search revealed contraband and a small container containing a small amount of controlled substance. The officers went into the house, yanked out my brother, cuffed him, searched the house and found some more contraband and controlled substance. They had with them the letters that I had posted on the girls door. They showed us the letters and said that was all they needed to proceed with extortion charges. We were brought to jail, booked and charged with Extortion (CRS 18-3-207 2) and PCS (CRS 18-18-405). We were at that time read our rights and declined to answer any questions. We spent the night in jail. We have since bonded out.
I am a little upset that what was my attempt at reconciling this incident peacefully was turned into a trip to jail and felony charges. I have hired a lawyer but have not yet spoken with him in detail. I am curious how likely it is that this will go to trial and based upon my summary, what the outcome of such a trial would most likely be.
The drug charges are particularly disturbing as I was searched without consent as the officers said they had probable cause based on whatever it was the girl told them. I don't know what it was the girl told them, but I am sure that whatever it was, it was not true and cannot be proven as I have never threatened her, stalked her, touched her or attempted to do any of those things. The amounts of substance discovered were minimal (less than a gram) but it wasn't weed, much worse. Contraband consisted of a spoon and a pipe constructed of aluminum foil.
Do I have any grounds to file civil or criminal charges against the girl if it is shown that she knowingly misled the police by telling them lies about the circumstances leading to my arrest? I'm certain that she told them that I was either stalking, menacing, harassing her and that she was 'afraid' of what I might do. Any claims of this sort would be totally unsubstantiated and untrue. The police did not know anything about the dog bites and did not believe me when I told them about the dog bites. They had the letters I wrote and told me that because one of them used the word "reprehensible" that I was making threats. The police were uneducated thugs and apparently did not understand what the word means and thought it meant something threatening. I did not demand money in the letters, I only demanded that she make an attempt to contact me by phone or by coming to my door. There is on file with the dept. of animal control a complaint of a biting dog/barking dog made by me a week before this incident. Contact has not been made as of yet, but is scheduled soon. I am wondering also if there is any sort of 'illegal search and seizure' aspect regarding the search that would work in my favor as I don't really see what probable cause the police had to do what they did.

Thank you,

g

Kane

Do I have any grounds to file civil or criminal charges against the girl if it is shown that she knowingly misled the police by telling them lies about the circumstances leading to my arrest?
As to criminal charges, it's up the police to decide whether to make an arrest, and it's up to the prosecutor to decide whether to prosecute. Since the police arrested you, I assume they believe her, and not you. If they change their minds at some point, and decide she lied to them, they might arrest her. But again, that would be up to them, not you.

As far filing a civil suit, talk to a civil lawyer. In civil cases, though, you have to consider two factors - 1.) what are the damages, and 2.) whether you can collect, even if you win. If the girl has no money, you're not going to get any money, even if you win.

I am curious how likely it is that this will go to trial and based upon my summary, what the outcome of such a trial would most likely be.

Most criminal cases are settled through plea bargains, not trials. Most likely yor case will be plea bargained. I don't know what the outcome of a trial would be.

I am wondering also if there is any sort of 'illegal search and seizure' aspect regarding the search that would work in my favor as I don't really see what probable cause the police had to do what they did.
If they went into your home and seized evidence without a search warrant or consent, there's an issue. They need at least probable cause and exigent circumstances - some reason why they couldn't have gotten a warrant first. However, I don't believe merely finding drug paraphenalia on a person gives them the right to search a person's home.

If a judge decides they violated the law, any evidence they found in your home will be suppressed. However, without know what the police will say, it's hard to know how likely that is. Judges tend to give police officers' testimony a lot of weight.

egaus

Thank you - need more info on IS&S

State: Colorado

Could someone please be more specific about probable cause and illegal search and seizure - perhaps someone with experience in the outcomes of such claims.

My claim: I knocked on the girl's door, told her she was ridiculous after she yelled at me. The last words uttered while I was still at the door were hers, 'any more attempts at contacting me will be viewed as harassment'.

After she said that, I left and went to my apartment peacfully. I never issued a threat to this girl. She was drunk at the time.

The police came to my door, knocked and I answered. They asked me to step outside and answer some questions. I said 'sure'. Before I could even move I was being handled by police. I was handled into handcuffs, pushed against a wall and my pockets were searched. In one of my pockets was a small tube fashioned out of aluminum foil (a pipe perhaps.) and a small container of lip balm. Inside the lip balm container was a controlled substance.

At the same time I was being cuffed and searched, two other cops rushed into my house and grabbed my brother, forced him out of the apt., cuffed and searched him. He did not have anything on him.

The police then searched the rest of my house. My brother was exclaiming repeatedly that he did not give anyone authorization to search himself or the apt. and that his rights were being violated. I never consented to any search of myself or the apt. The police mentioned that they had probable cause to do everything that they did. If 'probable cause' was listening to the lies of a drunk woman who is saying that the two guys down the hall have been threatening, harassing and scaring her trying to get $100, would that be enough to warrant probable cause? I don't yet have the police report but I am imagining that the girl told the police something like that.

If it is determined or the girl confesses to lying to the cops in order to have them give me a hard time, would that negate probable cause? Shouldn't the cops have maybe asked me a question or two before just stomping all over the Bill of Rights? I know they don't have to, but they could have saved me a lot of trouble by asking me if I was threatening the DRUNK girl down the hall earlier that evening...?

Thanks!

egaus

CdwJava

egaus said:
Could someone please be more specific about probable cause and illegal search and seizure - perhaps someone with experience in the outcomes of such claims.
I'll try.

The police came to my door, knocked and I answered. They asked me to step outside and answer some questions. I said 'sure'. Before I could even move I was being handled by police.
Apparently they believed they had probable cuase to arrest you for something. Therefore, simply being in the threshold of the doorway is considered a sufficient public location where they could make an arrest.

I was handled into handcuffs, pushed against a wall and my pockets were searched.
Kinda typical when one is arrested.

In one of my pockets was a small tube fashioned out of aluminum foil (a pipe perhaps.) and a small container of lip balm. Inside the lip balm container was a controlled substance.
"Perhaps"? :rolleyes:

Specifically, what KIND of controlled substance?

At the same time I was being cuffed and searched, two other cops rushed into my house and grabbed my brother, forced him out of the apt., cuffed and searched him. He did not have anything on him.
Questionable unless he was alleged to have been involved.

However, they might be justified in a protective sweep of the apartment and then a detention of your brother while they sorted things out. The search - unless done with consent - is questionable. And whether they had probable cause to run in an arrest him depends on circumstances we are not aware of.

The police mentioned that they had probable cause to do everything that they did.
A "search" would not likely be lawful under the circumstances you outline and any evidence from such a search could likely be suppressed. However, once again, we do not know the circumstances from the officers' point of view.

Uh ... you or your brother wouldn't happen to be on probation or parole, would you?

If 'probable cause' was listening to the lies of a drunk woman who is saying that the two guys down the hall have been threatening, harassing and scaring her trying to get $100, would that be enough to warrant probable cause?
To arrest you? Maybe. It all depends on what you were accused of and how credible they felt she was.

If it is determined or the girl confesses to lying to the cops in order to have them give me a hard time, would that negate probable cause?
No. But it might make her subject to a brand new crime of making a flase report to the police resulting in someone else's arrest. But the officer's PC still would exist.

Shouldn't the cops have maybe asked me a question or two before just stomping all over the Bill of Rights?
Specifically what "right" di they "stomp" all over?

If you are subject to arrest then you are subject to search.

As you acknowledge, they were under no obligation to ask you your side of the story before they threw you in cuffs. However, it DOES make their case a tad weaker if they don't have your version of events.

EDIT: After reading your original post again, I can only add that you and your brother really need to get an attorney.

- Carl

Last edited:

egaus

Dear Carl,

Thanks for your help. I have some more questions, if you have the time. I have not had a chance to obtain representation as the holiday and my recent eviction due to suspicion of illegal activity including PCS and a few other dramatic episodes have prevented me from doing anything to save my ass as I have been too busy trying to save me ass.

Specifically, what KIND of controlled substance? Specifically a Schedule I controlled substance, no more than .6 grams.

Questionable unless he was alleged to have been involved. If he was alleged to have been involved, it would be hard to prove since during the entire time that he could have had the opportunity to get involved, he was involved in an electronic home monitoring program that required him to remain within the confines of our apartment. Any of the very few times that he was not within those confines he was somewhere else that he has documentation of including exact times. The girl would have to have been pretty lucky to tell the police about anything that my brother was involved in as she would have to provide fairly accurate time frames coinciding with the actual times he was not at home as recorded by the monitoring hardware.

However, they might be justified in a protective sweep of the apartment and then a detention of your brother while they sorted things out. The search - unless done with consent - is questionable. And whether they had probable cause to run in and arrest him depends on circumstances we are not aware of.Using your imagination and experience, what would be a reasonable example of the least serious accusations that the girl could have concocted that the police would be so aggressive and so mean and certain of themselves to think it justified to bang on my door, cuff and search me (not just a frisk, all pockets searched) without hesitation, recklessly charge into my house, grab, cuff and search my brother and with only having found a tiny bit of a substance identified incorrectly at first as 'used up marijuana' and a home-made pipe, proceed to run a complete search of the house - opening small containers, cabinets, drawers, who knows what else - seizing among other things - another small amount of the same schedule I (no more than .5 g), a marijuana pipe, some tin foil, various letters (drafts of letters placed on the girls door hand-written, never delivered), and even some pawn shop receipts and my realistic looking BB gun. There was never an attempt to 'sort things out'. These guys were definitely not the curious investigator types as seen on TV. They were fast and quick to draw the most absurd conclusions I have ever seen. We're talking leaps of logic at the Olympic level. For instance: Observed on the screen of my computer was a web page describing what to do in case of a dog bite - what to document, how to document, within what time, who to call and what to expect. Since we were believed to be extortionists harassing this girl in an effort to get her to pay us money using our 'phony' dog bite claim as our method, having a web page 'coincidentally' displayed at the time of arrest featuring instructions on what to do in case of a dog bite was all that was needed to prove without a doubt that we were up to no good. 'Hey Jim - These dopers even have a website about getting money from dog bite claims!' 'What do you have to say about that, huh doper? I suppose it's just a coincidence that you have a website about dog bites, eh? Let's see your leg, I wanna see that bite.' 'Sir, if you would release one of my hands from the cuffs and let me pull up my pant leg, I will show you the scar from the dog bite.' 'Shut up doper. I wasn't asking you for your opinion, I was telling you how screwed you two are, now turn around and don't try and twist this around, we've read your letters. (pulls one out and points to the word -reprehensible- ) Reprehensible huh? You telling me that's not a threat? You're going to the SallyPort and if you have any more CS on you, you'll be getting another felony so tell me now - do you have any more drugs?'

A "search" would not likely be lawful under the circumstances you outline and any evidence from such a search could likely be suppressed. However, once again, we do not know the circumstances from the officers' point of view. I am attempting discovery on Monday and with luck I might get a look at a police report before my next appearance. At this appearance, I will be doing ... what? I first need to save up enough money to pay a $2,000 retainer for my attorney. I will not qualify nor do I want to qualify for a public defamer. Until I have representation, I am a fool representing himself in court against multiple felony charges. This will be the second appearance. The first was in jail where I was told how much my bail was ($3,000), what charges were to be sought and that is it. I was not given a chance to speak but I have since found out I should have at that time requested a public defender for the purpose of having him/her initiate discovery and some other details before I fired him/her when I had enough cash to give an attorney. Does this make sense? What am I missing here?

Uh ... you or your brother wouldn't happen to be on probation or parole, would you? See above. They did not, however, realize this until the event was over and we were being placed into their cars.

To arrest you? Maybe. It all depends on what you were accused of and how credible they felt she was.
How credible can a drunk, blond, 28-year-old semi-educated hostess be? What is it that determines how credible she was? Is it how hysterical she becomes or how many tears she forces out of her eyes?

No. But it might make her subject to a brand new crime of making a flase report to the police resulting in someone else's arrest. But the officer's PC still would exist. In this case, would the police automatically pursue criminal charges if it became apparent or she confessed to exaggerating/making up the truth? Would it then be prudent to have my attorney seek to file civil suit? My little trip to jail got me 1) evicted 2) scared 3) over $3,000 in debt and climbing 4) convinced that I have only as many rights as I can hold on to - all others will be ignored or ripped from you in the name of or pursuit of justice and if they are stomped on, it's okay, the evidence obtained from that illegal search will be destroyed. Hey - that 'evidence' cost me $60. Some cop illegally searches my house, confiscates my dope, has his 'PC' reversed and the evidence is thrown out - that's all good but I thought I had a reasonable right to feel somewhat secure in my belief that I would not become the subject of a crime drama while sitting on my couch behind a locked door after knocking on the girl's door down the hall to talk to her about what was to become of her promise to pay me $100 for my decision to not have her dog put to sleep.

Specifically what "right" did they "stomp" all over? See above. I believe it was my right to extort money from dumb bitches without having the cops steal my dope.

If you are subject to arrest then you are subject to search. Doesn't that make all males subject to search at any given moment in time after interacting with a female? Apparently that's all that is required, right? An accusation or an allegation or a made-up story and a few fake tears is all that is necessary to put any one of us into custody at the drop of a pipe.

As you acknowledge, they were under no obligation to ask you your side of the story before they threw you in cuffs. However, it DOES make their case a tad weaker if they don't have your version of events. A tad? I would think that before you proceed to lay waste to someone's life and cause them irreparable harm financially and mentally that you might pause for a moment after putting someone in handcuffs and, in the spirit of the motto 'to serve and protect', listen to and attempt to corroborate the two versions of 'what happened' that you might avoid sending someone guilty only of becomming addicted to a substance that your department has for the last 60 years been unsuccessful at making difficult to obtain, to a filthy jail.

EDIT: After reading your original post again, I can only add that you and your brother really need to get an attorney. Do you think that my attorney, after hearing my version of events will want to call my adversary to the witness stand for some sort of cross-questioning to establish the fact that she is a lying scumbag or would he be able to question her out of court in some sort of deposition? How does that work? Is it likely that without her cooperation and participation, the DA does not have much else to prosecute except PCS? How is it that the PCS could stick if it is shown that the police should not have relied on the story of a drunk woman who was just trying to get out of paying $100 and having to enroll her beast into an expensive training class per her suggestion to us as an alternative to me calling animal control? This woman has managed to ruin me and my brother just because she decided she didn't want to honor the agreement she suggested. Have you heard anything more deserving of punishment lately?

gaus the long-winded extorter

CdwJava

egaus said:
Specifically, what KIND of controlled substance? Specifically a Schedule I controlled substance, no more than .6 grams.
That's not too specific. Do you have any idea how MANY drugs are classified as Sched. I under the federal system? And each state also has classifications that do not always miorror the federal system.

during the entire time that he could have had the opportunity to get involved, he was involved in an electronic home monitoring program that required him to remain within the confines of our apartment.
Dealers do deliver ... just like pizza.

Using your imagination and experience, what would be a reasonable example of the least serious accusations that the girl could have concocted
Let's see ... "he assaulted me and threatened to kill me" comes to mind. If I felt I had sufficient cause to arrest you I wouldn't give you a chance to resist, either.

I cannot begin to hypothesize as to the rest of it as the reasons to go inside are far too fact specific to adequately conjecture.

I am attempting discovery on Monday and with luck I might get a look at a police report before my next appearance.
In my state you wouldn't get the report - only your attorney could get it. However different states have different rules on this.

At this appearance, I will be doing ... what?
If it is the araignment then you will be pleading guilt or innocence and getting counsel appointed if you do not have the means to hire one yourself. if it is a Preliminary Hearing then you need to get that lawyer ASAP.

I was not given a chance to speak but I have since found out I should have at that time requested a public defender for the purpose of having him/her initiate discovery and some other details before I fired him/her when I had enough cash to give an attorney. Does this make sense? What am I missing here?
If that was the arraignment and not a bail or probable cause hearing, then you need to call the PD's office or the court and find out how you go about getting a public defender.

Uh ... you or your brother wouldn't happen to be on probation or parole, would you? See above. They did not, however, realize this until the event was over and we were being placed into their cars.
Oh well ... the fact that he was on porobation may very well make ANY search of the residence a moot point as it was lawful. If he had search conditions on his probation then the apartment is fair game and any suppression is likely out of the question. And I doubt you really can know WHEN they knew your brother was on probation. It's very likely they knew that going in. it would certainly explain why they made entry.

How credible can a drunk, blond, 28-year-old semi-educated hostess be?
As credible as anyone can be, I guess. YOU say she was "drunk" ... but was she? Having been drinking is not "drunk". And education or lack thereof does not make one an un-credible witness.

Turn it around ... how credible a witness does a probationer make?

What is it that determines how credible she was? Is it how hysterical she becomes or how many tears she forces out of her eyes?
It's a whole bunch of things. If she came across as believable, then they believe her.

In this case, would the police automatically pursue criminal charges if it became apparent or she confessed to exaggerating/making up the truth?
IF the elements of the crime were met, they might. They wouldn't stand a chance if it were only "apparent", so they likely wouldn't pursue it. They would need some solid proof that she knowingly and malicously made up the allegations against you. This is an incredibly high burden of proof and it is a crime rarely charged.

Would it then be prudent to have my attorney seek to file civil suit?
Against her? Good luck. However, be prepared to pony up $5k to $10k up front. And unless she's well-to-do, don't count on collecting anything later.

Some cop illegally searches my house,
That hasn't been established yet. And with Bro on probation, i doubt that ever will be ruled "illegal".

Specifically what "right" did they "stomp" all over? See above. I believe it was my right to extort money from dumb bitches without having the cops steal my dope.
Nice. :rolleyes:

If you are subject to arrest then you are subject to search. Doesn't that make all males subject to search at any given moment in time after interacting with a female?
Don't be ridiculous. Of course not.

Do you think that my attorney, after hearing my version of events will want to call my adversary to the witness stand for some sort of cross-questioning to establish the fact that she is a lying scumbag or would he be able to question her out of court in some sort of deposition?
She'd be a fool to agree to a deposition. But he just might try ... it's billable hours for him. If he can get her to waffle on the stand she might not come off as credible and the jury or the judge may choose not to believe her and you might get acquitted.

How is it that the PCS could stick if it is shown that the police should not have relied on the story of a drunk woman
Because probable cause to make an arrest is much lower than the 'guilt beyond a reasonable doubt' standard in court. And when you are arrested you are subject to search.

In retrospect, might it have been a better course of events to have sued her in civil court for the dog bite rather than tacking notes on her door and pounding on it.

- Carl

stephenk

next time the police are knocking at your door, remember to put the pipe and dope away before answering.

gawm

stephenk said:
next time the police are knocking at your door, remember to put the pipe and dope away before answering.
Actually if you have to put a pipe down or hide dope, probably better not to answer the door at all :eek:

egaus

probation issue

stephenk said:
For certain. Funny thing about dope though.. 'remembering' seems to be a difficult task.

CLARIFICATION: About the Bro on probation: I know the cops did not know he was on probabtion until after the whole scenario went down. I was actually in the cop car when they looked him up and exclaimed "Oh boy, he's on probation to boot!"

g

CdwJava

And said probation makes their search that much more legal ... kinda hard to argue a suppression motion for someone who has no expectation of privacy.

- Carl

egaus

At least someone believes me!

State: CO

I went to my first court appearance besides the appearance I made while in jail wearing ankle cuffs for the purpose of the judge telling me how much my bail would be. My name was called and I was told that all charges against me were dropped. Nothing else. I would be very curious to know why. Obviously someone (the DA or Assist. DA) didn't think there was sufficient cause to seek prosecution) but is there a way to find out specifically was the reason? Does this present any opportunity to seek compensation for my otherwise purposeless, humiliating and horrible time spent in county jail or should I just let it go? What about the girl? I know that she lied big to the cops to get them to treat me like they did. Do you think charges were dropped because she did not want to press charges or because it was found that she was indeed lying? Would I not be notified if charges were filed against her? Can I request that charges be filed? This woman knowingly and willfully lied to police in order to get me thrown in jail. She is a sick woman with a biting dog and just did not want to have to pay me the $100 she promised that she would pay as compensation for the damn dog bites. I just don't feel like taking this one without getting some compensation - I was bit by her dog twice and she sent me to jail and caused me many more problems as a result of the jail time. Am I not a victim?

Thanks,

e

CdwJava

You can have your attorney ask them why they chose not to pursue charges, but they are likely under no obligation to tell you the reason behind the decision.

If you believe you can make a case for a lawsuit against the woman and that you can prove she knowingly and maliciously made false accusations against you, then go out and hire yourself an attorney. However, if the attorney wants money up front, beware ... your case may not be that good, ot, the chance of receiving compensation for whatever reason is slim to none.

You can contact animal control about the dog bite or seek civil action for that as well. And you can always ASK the police and the DA if they have enough to file charges against her for filing a false report, but there is really little you can do to compel them to pursue it. It is very rare to make a criminal case for filing a false report as the burden of proof is pretty high. But, if they have enough, they usually do it. The police and the DA don't like to get jerked around, either.

- Carl

If it was me, I would just "let it go" with the neighbor for now. She is probably expecting some retaliation from you, and has surely taken measures to be prepared. Don't give her an excuse to be herself. You guys are surely not the only victims of that "kick-me" (sorry...my name for any dog small enough to kick like a football). If the bite left a mark, did you take a photo of your leg? It may come in handy later.

There are two types of dogs... those that bite people and those that do not.
When that kick-me bites the next tenant, you can volunteer to help them document their suit as a past dog bite victim. That will be better for you, since you won't be the "vindictive" guy in that case. Just be civil to the neighbor and wait; it is just a matter of time.

Once law enforcement lets you walk away, it is best to just walk away (as in "fade away"). Putting yourself in the "spotlight" with law enforcement is just not a productive move, as a general rule.

Since you mentioned your dog research, I assume you know if the bite broke the skin, you need to verify the dog has current vaccination records ASAP, or it must be quarantined for the rabies observation period !
I live in Denver**************been there,done that....here is everything you need, statutes/policy, etc:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/zoonosis/rabies/rabieshom.html

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/zoonosis/rabies/dogbite_policy_05.pdf

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/zoonosis/rabies/rabiesstatute.PDF

One more suggestion**************next time law enforcement comes to your door.....step outside your door threshold into the hall....closing the door behind you, and leave it closed....your day will go much better.....lol

egaus

Discovery Time

State: CO

Continuing Saga of the Dog Bite Felt Around the World

I have obtained all documents released by the DA to my lawyer as discovery. Police report, witness statements, victim statement, lab reports, etc..

All charges were dropped as under circumstances officers were required to obtain a warrant and they did not.

On a side note, seems strange that when a citizen breaks a law, the law does everything it can to bring that person to justice. Justice in this country has become synonymous with punishment/retribution. The Constitution of this country has 'guaranteed' its citizens certain inalienable rights. Amendment 4 is not unclear about a citizens right to a reasonable expectation of privacy while sitting in one's living room. Why is it not a crime for a police officer to ignore the directive of this amendment? These officers, despite being told by me during the arrest, were ignorant. Ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it. If I were the DA I'd have something in place that identified officers that go around arresting people using methods that cause the arrest to be invalidated due to improper procedure. I would have those officers held accountable for their ignorance. What a huge waste of time that was as a result of no one paying attention to proper procedures required seize evidence, search a house and a person, etc.. This goes on every day. I would bet that the ignorant officers on duty each day arresting people and violating the rights of those people are wasting millions of dollars a year and using time that could be better spent following proper arrest procedure in order to bring some of these criminals like myself to court so they can be properly stripped of dignity and incarcerated for the purpose of pushing the cogs of the system around and around in the governments crime rate control program.

The police report shows that the girl who accused me was lying. She is contradicted by her witnesses statements. The police (4 of them) contradict each other in their individual accounts as well. It's a joke. All this for a pipe containing .03 grams of dope and a spoon with unidentifiable residue and a blackened bottom...

I just can't believe that there is no recourse. Those officers were cruel, dumb and just plain bad. When in the underground parking garage getting out of the squad car it was noticed that my brother had moved his hands in front of himself as opposed to having them behind his back, cuffed (how he managed this I do not know), the officers freaked out. They grabbed him and restrained him while yelling for him to stop resisting as they forced his arms around his head in ways that arms are not supposed to bend while my brother is yelping in pain screaming 'stop! stop! you are hurting me!'. I observed as another uninvolved officer ran over and further made the situation even more unbearable to watch as he yelled at my brother and removed his handcuffs, bent his arms back behind his back shoving them up as high as he could without actually breaking his arms, recuffing him as tightly as he could and then telling him they should add escape attempt on to his arrest. When my brother, an hour later, requested the name and badge number of the one officer that hurt him the most, the other officers looked at each other curiously and then said 'what officer?' My brother said 'the one that almost broke my arm in the garage. The one that caused these red marks and bruises on my wrists. You know, the guy that overreacted to a 145 pound guy in handcuffs getting out of the back of a police car with his hands cuffed in front of himself instead of in back because his arms were hurting badly after being left in the back of the squad car for two hours while you guys bumbled around illegally collecting evidence to support a case that will most likely be thrown out of town.' The police officers said they didn't know what he was talking about. This incident was conveniently left out of the report. I saw it. It is on camera. I saw the camera.

I guess I am just still extremely hostile toward the Denver PD for their actions and way of protecting and serving the people of Denver that evening. I'm sure that kind of thing was just an isolated incident and that those officers were acting in the best interest of all parties. I just wonder if maybe somewhere out there, there is someone who cares about this kind of thing that would want to prevent it from happening to someone they care about.

thanks.

CdwJava

You do have a recourse ... sue them under Title 18 of the USC. The hard part will be finding an attorney willing to take it on contingency. If a judge found that the officers grossly violated the law and determined that they had no probable cause to make entry, then there might be an out of court settlement for a few grand. However, your arrest in the doorway was likely lawful so the only thing you can argue about is the unlawful entry for the dope.

Hopefully you have decided to kick the dope habit ... I'm hopeful you have, but skeptical that you have learned your lesson on the matter.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">