• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment from the neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maetyn

What is the name of your state? MI

In July of 2003 I bought land adjoining one other private parcel the rest is surrounded (3 sides) by National Forest for the purpose to build a home (this is in accordance with local zoning laws). This neighbor has continually made my life difficult.

After I bought the land I went to meet my new neighbor, discuss my plans of construction and to offer help (a sign of good faith as I'm a general contractor) building his hunting cabin, he declined. A few months later he put up stakes and signs (no tresspassing) on my property (it was surveyed and marked with surveyor stakes) so I pulled them off the trees and out of the ground (after asking him to remove them and he didn't). I began bringing excavation contractors to the property to get bids and while I was there with one my neighbor approached with a gun on his hip (walking on to my property) and he asked "what the h*** are you doing out here?" The contractor was so offended that the neighbor "was carrying a gun around a woman" (I'm female) that he turned his back and refused to talk to the neighbor. I told my neighbor that I was planning on building a permanent residnce (again) and I pointed out aproximately where it would be located, he then asked me if I wanted to sell. Obviously I said no, and reinerated the fact that I am building my permanent residence here. This is on par with all 10+ encounters with my neighbor (the gun when we meet in person and asking if we want to sell in person and over the phone).

After obtaining an easement through the National Forest in Aug. of 2004 and filing for the proper permits I rented the equipment to clear the lot and easement. I recieved a phone call by my zoning official to stop construction becaus my neighbor thought I was going to clear his land not the national forest for the easement. That afternoon (wasteing a day of renting the equipment) I met with the zoning official and my neighbor to walk the property line and easement. We did so and agreed that I was not on his property, but I pointed out that his hunting blind (which is 4' away from the property line on his side) would need to be moved because in Michigan you must be 350' from the nearest occupied building unless you have permission (which he did not and will never have). Two days later I recieved a letter from my neighbor stating that if any damage is found to/on his property he will sue me for 3 times it's worth. The next day I filed a complaint with the county sheriff of harassment.
The next time I rented and brought out equipment (I couldn't finish the first time because he put me behind schedule) he called the zoning officer again to complain that I was doing construction on the road. This road he speaks of is an access two-track through National Forest which I have legal easement to use and maintain. This two-track he uses to get to his property but does not have legal easement to do so. Again because of his interference I am put back another day discussing the situation with the county road commission (which is over 25 miles away) to find out that I haven't done anything wrong.

Questions:
1. Do I file another complaint and try to get a restraing order?
2. Do I have a suit for harassment?
3. Can I sue for extra expenses occured because of his actions? (ie, re-rental of the equipment, wages to workers, gasoline for travel to the offices to resolve his frivilous isssues, wear and tear on my car for travel, etc.)
4. Suggestions on how to proceed.

Last edited:

Son of Slam

You are clearing a road through MY National Forest, because you were stupid enough to buy property that was landlocked? Please post your neighbors mailing address so we can send him a donation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">