• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment via text/email/phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gidorax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

So last summer i began talking to this girl and her ex boyfriend and immature friends began harassing her, few of my friends, and myself. Being the immature people they are, it was mostly text msg threats, phone calls, and threats to harass and send pictures to their parents (we are in college and some of there parents are very religious so would take even pictures of just coed get togethers inappropriately). Regardless we ignored most of it, filed a few police reports (atleast a dozen, nothing gets done) and by the time the school year started they had stopped.

Recently they started again but made the mistake of sending one of their text messages with a signature on it. The signature stated their username and smart phone application service name. So i contacted them and they replied they would be more then willing to help but i would need a subpeona. Being an independent college student, i do not have the cash flow to afford a lawyer and do not really know how i would go about getting a subpeona alone. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. I have been informed that i can not get a subpeona without having an active case and cant get a case since i can not prove who it is yet.

edit: I know a lot of people tell me to just ignore it but they do continuously find new numbers to keep texting me and calling me. I can easily ignore them but they bother my female friends, who get really nervous and emotional and obviously this irritates me when strangers feel like bullying 20 yr old girls who are like sisters to me (not to mention my real sister as well). I also do not know if i am ready to take it to court and do not know what i can do after i get a subpeona and the information.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

So last summer i began talking to this girl and her ex boyfriend and immature friends began harassing her, few of my friends, and myself. Being the immature people they are, it was mostly text msg threats, phone calls, and threats to harass and send pictures to their parents (we are in college and some of there parents are very religious so would take even pictures of just coed get togethers inappropriately). Regardless we ignored most of it, filed a few police reports (atleast a dozen, nothing gets done) and by the time the school year started they had stopped.

Recently they started again but made the mistake of sending one of their text messages with a signature on it. The signature stated their username and smart phone application service name. So i contacted them and they replied they would be more then willing to help but i would need a subpeona. Being an independent college student, i do not have the cash flow to afford a lawyer and do not really know how i would go about getting a subpeona alone. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. I have been informed that i can not get a subpeona without having an active case and cant get a case since i can not prove who it is yet.

edit: I know a lot of people tell me to just ignore it but they do continuously find new numbers to keep texting me and calling me. I can easily ignore them but they bother my female friends, who get really nervous and emotional and obviously this irritates me when strangers feel like bullying 20 yr old girls who are like sisters to me (not to mention my real sister as well). I also do not know if i am ready to take it to court and do not know what i can do after i get a subpeona and the information.
Sure, you could probably sue. You'd need to file suit BEFORE having a subpoena issued to obtain the information you are looking for. The clerk can often assist you in doing that. But wouldn't it just be easier to change your phone number instead?

gidorax

I can change mine (they still have about 5 other friends they have been harassing) but they have had no problem finding relatives, friends, and other numbers, i doubt this would remedy the problem. I do not know i can file suit seeing how i do not know who exactly it is and do not know if i can pay for a lawyer and what not at this time.

Proserpina

I can change mine (they still have about 5 other friends they have been harassing) but they have had no problem finding relatives, friends, and other numbers, i doubt this would remedy the problem. I do not know i can file suit seeing how i do not know who exactly it is and do not know if i can pay for a lawyer and what not at this time.

I honestly don't believe this would be worth the time and effort.

Ignoring the idiots tends to work very well - they'll get bored eventually.

gidorax

Yea i figured i notified the other people to just inform their parents of the situation but they are to afraid to and the threats are getting somewhat serious so i more just wanted to make sure these kids learn there lesson since it is somewhat atrocious what they are doing (cant really get into to much details). Thank You for the advice closing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">