• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harboring a Felon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcsmokercraft

What is the name of your state? California

Ok, my girlfriend has a warrant out for her arrest from Placer County, CA. We live in Sacramento County, CA. So I am trying to figure out is do I have to report her whereabouts to Placer County since I know she has a warrant? Can I be arrested by Sacramento County for harboring a felon? What is the likely hood they would do that?

If they come to my place and ask if I she lives there, do I have to answer that question, right away? If they want to search my residence, can they? Can I say no and make them get a warrant?

Since she is not about to turn herself in, I want to know what risks I am taking as I have a good job and a professional career and she needs to take care of this for herself and to protect me, as this would seem to be the right thing to do. I cannot get her to understand this as I think her situation would be worse if she gets arrested in Sacramento, rather than just turning herself in and dealing with the situation.

Thanks

CdwJava

mcsmokercraft said:
Ok, my girlfriend has a warrant out for her arrest from Placer County, CA. We live in Sacramento County, CA.
Wonderful. :eek:

So I am trying to figure out is do I have to report her whereabouts to Placer County since I know she has a warrant? Can I be arrested by Sacramento County for harboring a felon? What is the likely hood they would do that?
Okay ... NOTHING pisses off the cops more than a person who harbors and aids and abets a wanted felon! I can almost guarantee that if you lie to the cops or otherwise obstruct them they WILL find a way to take you to jail ... and, if you have any kids, they will go to CPS and you will find yourself in a very involved custody fight with the county.

It comes down to whether or not you are willing to go to prison and ruin your life so that she can avoid the consequences of her actions for a little while. Remember, warrants do NOT go away! It will be there forever! Eventually she WILL get caught. You have to ask yourself if ruining your life and becoming a convicted criminal yourself is worth it.

Is the sex THAT good? Is she the only woman that will have you?

If they come to my place and ask if I she lives there, do I have to answer that question, right away? If they want to search my residence, can they? Can I say no and make them get a warrant?
I guarantee you if they come back with a warrant, they are leaving with two of you in handcuffs.

Since she is not about to turn herself in, I want to know what risks I am taking as I have a good job and a professional career and she needs to take care of this for herself and to protect me, as this would seem to be the right thing to do.
You can kiss that career goodbye if they don't want convicted criminals working for them. Plus it's hard to work from jail.

I cannot get her to understand this as I think her situation would be worse if she gets arrested in Sacramento, rather than just turning herself in and dealing with the situation.
If they have to catch her it will be tougher on her.

- Carl

JETX

Carl, I have a great idea for this idiot!!!
Next time she goes to the store, he can call the cops and tell them where she is.
That way, she won't have to know that he is gutless and has no balls!! :D

gawm

How would they know that he knows that she has a warrant? Maybe that should be the question. What if the OP does not try to cover for her, lets say if the cops came to the door and he says "oh, she's upstairs". Can he get in trouble for living with her?

mcsmokercraft

Well thanks to all that replied. I can only say that it is easy to say that I should turn her in that to actually turn someone in that you care about or want the best for. The other problem is, is that with the warrant for her arrest their is a possibilty that she can be bailed out. But more than likely, they will just let her go after 4-5 days give her a new court date and she will probably just miss that one.

gawm

Try and get her to turn herself in. You don't have to turn her in, you just can't help her hide(lie to cops about whereabouts if they come to your door). Tell her you won't be with her anymore unless she turns herself in. Let her make the choice.

CdwJava

If she cares for you she will not want to put you at risk ... if she decides that your freedom is worth the risk, that should tell you something more about her character ... a clue you should already have read given the fact she has a felony warrant.

- Carl

mcsmokercraft

Well thanks CdwJava. Now for the rest of the story. She also has children with Sacramento County CPS due to this arrest in Placer County. CPS is aware of the warrant.

She has hired an attorney to handle her CPS case. Funds are non-existent to hire an attorney for the warrant. My question really is since her CPS attorney knows of the warrant and knows that she cannot go to CPS court or else she will be arrested, how ethical is it that he continue to represent her when he knows that the final outcome which is her getting her children back can never occur as long as she has this warrant outstanding?

Should he not retrun her money or at least say hey look I'll hold your retainer, you need to take care of your warrant, call me when you get out and we will work on getting your children back to you?

Just real muddy water.

Thanks.
And Carl what do you do?

CdwJava

mcsmokercraft said:
My question really is since her CPS attorney knows of the warrant and knows that she cannot go to CPS court or else she will be arrested, how ethical is it that he continue to represent her when he knows that the final outcome which is her getting her children back can never occur as long as she has this warrant outstanding?
There's no problem with that. This means that she better deal with it soon or she will likely lose the children for good. because if they set court dates and she fails to show, guess what? She'll lose custody!

In this case, this is probably ion the best interests of the children anyway.

Should he not retrun her money or at least say hey look I'll hold your retainer, you need to take care of your warrant, call me when you get out and we will work on getting your children back to you?
Not nbecessarily. One isn't on hold for the other. CPS is not going to care that she has a warrant and is not showing for that. They will seek a hearing and if she doesn't show, she'll lose.

And Carl what do you do?
I'm a cop.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

You don't want to bail her out if she will flee.
Hopefully she didn't pay her CPS attorney with one of the bad checks. Perhaps her attorney can give her a referal to an attorney in Placer county who might consider taking the case on a pro bono basis, legal aid doesn't handle criminal cases why didn''t she ask for a public defender if she had no money?
It is up to the judge whether or not to arrest her for the warrant if she appears for her Sacramento CPS case and she is very likely to lose if she doesn't appear.
It is doing her no favors avoiding her problems in Placer county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">