• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it harrassement to turn someone in for a warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gwoan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana

I have a felony theft warrant/failure to appear from 2002 that is apparently still active. Its a warrant that only pertains to the particular county and I cant be arrested for it outside of that county. I lived in that same small town until 2010 when I moved out of state with my new husband, and was never arrested for it all those years nor did it affect getting my passport or traveling international.
So normally I wouldn't worry about it but my ex mother in law and I have the same name and she was recently questioned by an officer about who she was, thinking she was me and unfortunately the officer told the ex mother in law and my ex hubby about my warrant....They hate me for reasons I wont get into and now the ex hubby and his wife are saying they will report me for said warrant as soon as I enter the county.
My new husband and I were really wanting to visit his family there this summer but I'm worried about those people ruining our vacation just because they are mad at me.

Would it be harrasement if one of them reported me once I'm there just to be spiteful?
Will the police really arrest me just because they call and tell them where I am?

Last edited:

quincy

I have a felony theft warrant/failure to appear from 2002 that is apparently still active. ...

... Would it be harrasement if one of them reported me once I'm there just to be spiteful?
Will the police really arrest me just because they call and tell them where I am?
No, it would not be harassment.

The police could arrest you. Whether they will or not is not something we can know.

aardvarc

I'm worried about those people ruining our vacation just because they are mad at me.
AND because YOU did something that caused a warrant to be put out for you, AND never bothered to DEAL with the issue for some substantial length of time. The only person you can blame here will be found in the mirror.

Would it be harrasement if one of them reported me once I'm there just to be spiteful?
No, it's not harassment. ANY person with information about a wanted person can provide police with information about a potential person at large. In fact, there are a lot of people who think that doing such things is a civic duty, as it's the way MOST persons on the run from the law eventually get brought before the court. There's no reason to think police WON'T at least check out the tip, and if your warrant is verified as active, you can plan on being in the company of the local jailer at least long enough to go in front of a judge in the court that issued the warrant. In other words, if you're going to return to the scene of the crime, make certain that you have enough cash on hand to deal with the issue quickly. The LESS time spent behind bars for ANY reason, the better!

justalayman

a felony warrant executable only in the county it was issued in? Sounds a bit odd. I don't know of any warrants that are limited to a specific county. Since there is no extradition within a state, that really doesn't make much sense.

but anyway, I suspect the police would thank anybody for helping them arrest a person with a felony warrant outstanding. It makes their job easier when people help like that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have a felony theft warrant/failure to appear from 2002 that is apparently still active. Its a warrant that only pertains to the particular county and I cant be arrested for it outside of that county. I lived in that same small town until 2010 when I moved out of state with my new husband, and was never arrested for it all those years nor did it affect getting my passport or traveling international.
So normally I wouldn't worry about it but my ex mother in law and I have the same name and she was recently questioned by an officer about who she was, thinking she was me and unfortunately the officer told the ex mother in law and my ex hubby about my warrant....They hate me for reasons I wont get into and now the ex hubby and his wife are saying they will report me for said warrant as soon as I enter the county.
My new husband and I were really wanting to visit his family there this summer but I'm worried about those people ruining our vacation just because they are mad at me.

You deserve to be arrested. That warrant will NOT go away. I hope your vacation is ruined quite frankly because you are irresponsible and need to grow up and deal with the consequences of your actions. Is that being spiteful? Nope. Honest. They have every right to turn you in immediately. If your inlaws don't turn you in by the way, they could get in trouble for harboring a fugitive. Because you are wanted for a crime. Any law abiding citizen should turn you in when you step foot in that county.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
AND because YOU did something that caused a warrant to be put out for you, AND never bothered to DEAL with the issue for some substantial length of time. The only person you can blame here will be found in the mirror.

No, it's not harassment. ANY person with information about a wanted person can provide police with information about a potential person at large. In fact, there are a lot of people who think that doing such things is a civic duty, as it's the way MOST persons on the run from the law eventually get brought before the court. There's no reason to think police WON'T at least check out the tip, and if your warrant is verified as active, you can plan on being in the company of the local jailer at least long enough to go in front of a judge in the court that issued the warrant. In other words, if you're going to return to the scene of the crime, make certain that you have enough cash on hand to deal with the issue quickly. The LESS time spent behind bars for ANY reason, the better!
But since she has been on the run for 12 years, she can't expect that her bail/bond will be low. She may end up sitting until trial due to the fact that she can't be trusted to show up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">