• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hate crime? Seriously?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redwings2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (I live in Georgia)

Before I get into the main part & reason for my question, I will provide a little background on the situation.

My best friend, *****, was born in Toronto Canada. ***** moved from Toronto, with his family, when he was 7 years old. I met ***** when we both were in the 2nd grade. We shared a love of Ice Hockey. ***** is a big Boston Bruins fan.

I was born in Deerborn Michigan, and I moved with my family to Georgia when I was 5 years old. I am a die-hard Detroit Red Wings fan.

I was *****'s Best-Man at his wedding & ***** was my Best-Man. His wife & my wife are good friends.

***** had got a job installing CCTV, Surveillance Cameras and Audio/Video Recording devices in businesses. His company traveled throughout the Southeast, mainly serving Bigbox retail stores.

My company was being shut down, so ***** asked his boss about hiring me. I went throught the interview process and got hired.

I have worked for the company for 4 years.

MAIN STORY:

On April 15, 2014 our job sent us to Florida to install new Surveillance Cameras in a Wal-Mart. We were contracted to be there for 7 days, 6 nights. We had to install over 150 new cameras, both interior and exterior of the Wal-Mart premises. We arrived on the scheduled day, met with the store management team. We were told to work primarily overnights, starting at 1am and leaving at 9am,

Our crew---there was 6 total workers---checked into our hotel rooms then went over the installation plans over lunch. We worked for 2 nights, then our contract was terminated & I was facing Hate Crime charges.

On the 17th of April around 12:45 am I was in the breakroom putting my lunchbox in my assigned locker, when I wrote a note to ***** that stated: "Tomorrow H.N.I.C." I wrote the note in red ink pen, symbolizing the red of Red Wings. I stuck/taped the note on *****'s locker folded. ***** knew it meant "HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA", and that our 2 teams---Bruins & Red Wings---were playing on Hockey Night In Canada.

Unfortunately someone took it as a Hate Crime. The Wal-Mart store manager said that when he was approached by an unnamed associate with the note & a description of me, that he felt that I was refering to HNIC as Head N---ER IN CHARGE. the police were called and I was taken to the station for questioning. I was arrested and charged with a Hate Crime, pursuant to Florida State Law. I did see a judge that morning, and was released on bail ($10,000).

***** was questioned, and he defended me. ***** said he I would never make a racist statement against him or any minority. The police officer that questioned ***** kept implying that, due to ***** being an African American, he should feel threatened. ***** told the officer that he is Black Canadian, and not an African American.

The other workers in our company, and our boss defended me. Everyone has said the same thing; I mentioned HNIC as a Hockey reference, not a Hate Crime.

I have to go back to Florida for court in June. My boss, co-workers will be there as character witnesses. Can I be prosecuted for this? The police officer questioning me said I could be facing ONE YEAR in Jail.

My question is, can I sue whoever took the note off of *****'s locker & led to this whole ordeal? I feel they invaded my privacy.

****My apologies if anyone feels violated or threatened with the language contained in my post****

CdwJava

I can't see how you can possibly sue someone for reporting what they believed was a crime. I do think it silly to pursue some sort of hate crime for threats based solely upon THAT note, even with the testimony of friends and co-workers that know you.

I would speak to an attorney in the jurisdiction where this occurred. It might be that this can be disposed of sooner rather than later, but it's not something you want to leave to chance.

redwings2014

I can't see how you can possibly sue someone for reporting what they believed was a crime. I do think it silly to pursue some sort of hate crime for threats based solely upon THAT note, even with the testimony of friends and co-workers that know you.

I would speak to an attorney in the jurisdiction where this occurred. It might be that this can be disposed of sooner rather than later, but it's not something you want to leave to chance.
Thank You for your response. I only asked about suing the person who read/ took the note because I feel they had no right to it. What if the note was private information about the job we were doing (hidden camera location,etc).

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (I live in Georgia)

... I was born in Deerborn Michigan, and I moved with my family to Georgia when I was 5 years old. I am a die-hard Detroit Red Wings fan. ...
There is no "Deerborn," Michigan. You do not know how to spell the name of the city you were born in? Very odd.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Thank You for your response. I only asked about suing the person who read/ took the note because I feel they had no right to it. What if the note was private information about the job we were doing (hidden camera location,etc).
If they took some secret job info, one could suggest that you find a more secure way to communicate with co-workers rather than negligently leaving notes around. You'd also need to show damages.

davew128

I am curious why the initials "HNIC" were used instead of "HNIB," seeing as how the game was played in Boston and not in Canada.
I can tell you're not an NHL fan. I'm originally from Boston and even I know that HNIC is a big deal to Canadian hockey fans. HNIC is the correct acronym.

Dave1952

Sorry, you hung the note out where all could see it. I don't see an invasion of privacy. A note hanging from a locker will be read by everybody. This is a sad tale but you can't blame anyone. Get a lawyer.

davew128

Sorry, you hung the note out where all could see it. I don't see an invasion of privacy. A note hanging from a locker will be read by everybody. This is a sad tale but you can't blame anyone. Get a lawyer.
Well the OP could blame the idiot who took a well known hockey reference and turned it into a racial referendum either out of ignorance or an agenda.

CdwJava

Well the OP could blame the idiot who took a well known hockey reference and turned it into a racial referendum either out of ignorance or an agenda.
That "blame," however, would have no legal basis - it would only give the OP grumbling rights.

And, to be fair, I would never have thought "Hockey Night in Canada." Quite frankly, if I had considered it to be anything, I might also have considered it to be what it was misunderstood to mean. Though out here it generally wouldn't be a crime, and certainly not if the person who the message was intended for was not threatened by it. But, we have different laws here.

quincy

I can tell you're not an NHL fan. I'm originally from Boston and even I know that HNIC is a big deal to Canadian hockey fans. HNIC is the correct acronym.
You are right that "hockey night in Canada" is a big deal to Canadian hockey fans, and the acronym is well-known in Canada, and many hockey fans have heard and know CBC's trademarked catch-phrase.

However, because CBC broadcasts focus on Canadian teams - the Red Wings and the Bruins will generally get coverage only when they play the Maple Leafs or the Canucks or another Canadian team (although play-offs will be broadcast) - and because CBC hockey game broadcasts are not available in most U.S. cities (Detroit and Boston can receive them; cities in Georgia and Florida can't), "Hockey Night is Canada" is generally not well known elsewhere.

redwings2014

You are right that "hockey night in Canada" is a big deal to Canadian hockey fans, and the acronym is well-known in Canada, and many hockey fans have heard and know CBC's trademarked catch-phrase.

However, because CBC broadcasts focus on Canadian teams - the Red Wings and the Bruins will generally get coverage only when they play the Maple Leafs or the Canucks or another Canadian team (although play-offs will be broadcast) - and because CBC hockey game broadcasts are not available in most U.S. cities (Detroit and Boston can receive them; cities in Georgia and Florida can't), "Hockey Night is Canada" is generally not well known elsewhere.
CBC and/or HNIC games are Broadcast on the NHL Channel & most sports bars in the US get all the Sports Packages. I watch all the NHL Games through Center Ice Package online or at a bar when I am not at home.

quincy

CBC and/or HNIC games are Broadcast on the NHL Channel & most sports bars in the US get all the Sports Packages. I watch all the NHL Games through Center Ice Package online or at a bar when I am not at home.
NHL games through Center Ice can be blocked, depending on the game and the location, because of NBC Sports exclusive U.S. broadcast rights.

I guess I have been spoiled living in the Detroit area because we get CBC for free. You got it for free in Deerborn, too, if you can remember that far back. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">