• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have outstanding warrant, need TX ID card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noisyninja

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am helping my girlfriend deal with an outstanding warrant in another state. We have hired an attorney there and are making progress, but the situation is not quite resolved.

However, we need to get her some ID. She has not driven in years (her last license was in another state, has expired and is now lost, likely in the trash). We have a certified copy of her birth certificate and her social security number, but we are concerned about the outstanding warrant.

If she applies for a TX ID card, will they run a check for outstanding warrants? And will they arrest her if they find one?

Her lack of ID has been a problem (traveling, etc), so we'd like to get one for her now rather than wait for the warrant issue to be resolved (it's been a slow process).

Thanks for the help!

outonbail

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am helping my girlfriend deal with an outstanding warrant in another state. We have hired an attorney there and are making progress, but the situation is not quite resolved.

However, we need to get her some ID. She has not driven in years (her last license was in another state, has expired and is now lost, likely in the trash). We have a certified copy of her birth certificate and her social security number, but we are concerned about the outstanding warrant.

If she applies for a TX ID card, will they run a check for outstanding warrants? And will they arrest her if they find one?

Her lack of ID has been a problem (traveling, etc), so we'd like to get one for her now rather than wait for the warrant issue to be resolved (it's been a slow process).

Thanks for the help!
I know a good way of speeding up the warrant issue and it includes travel! Unfortunately, it may be for a one way trip.

However, to answer your question, the department of motor vehicles is usually where you would go to request, fill out an application, smile for picture, pay for and then receive (usually by mail) the official state ID card.

Since she will be dealing with DMV employees, she probably doesn't have anything to worry about as far as being hooked up right there in the DMV. That is, unless she has committed a violent assault/murder type of crime and the department of justice has her file flagged for some reason. Just tell her not to act nervous and make sure she removes the ski mask before having her picture taken.

The only other thing she should now be concerned with, (again depending on what the warrant was issued for) is the fact that the authorities now have her current address and picture. So if they wanted her bad enough and were aggressively investigating her case, the police may show up before her ID does.

But again, this will solve the "slow to get the warrant taken care of" problem lickety split!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">