• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have some questions here

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsb25

My question is dealing with the state of Texas

Ok, I will try to make this short. I met a woman online, big mistake. This woman said she could get me a job in mexico and wanted to meet me and since she lived in mexico i agreed. i traveled to mexico and met her right after crossing the border and she took me to her house and I stayed there for about 2-3 weeks. After living with her for a few days, I could see she was not someone that i would want to be around long term, but I stuck it out because I wanted the job. At one point, she left the house and traveled back to the U.S or so she says leaving me alone in her apartment in Mexico.

Well, two nights later I got freaked out because I heard automatic gun fire and it sounded really close, I guess the cartels were fighting or something, so I texted her and told her I was leaving and I grabbed my stuff and I started leaving, someone may have seen me move my stuff Idk. Well she texts me and tells me that someone had broken into her house. I told her I was sorry, but that i had to leave. Well apparently she has a house in the united states that I didn't know about and told cops in the US(not mexico!) that I stole the stuff from her house? I have never been there, heck i dont' even know where it is?

An officer later contacted me,(i had changed my number and don't know how he got it) and he wanted a statement because at that point I was hours away. i wrote a statement, included pictures of where I had been at as well as some nasty emails from her and then I sent it. At one point, the officer said that he thought she had lied and not went to the place she claimed she did when she left on her trip.

It's been 2 1/2 years now and I haven't heard anything. I don't know how to check my background without getting an officer to do it and last year I did have a issue and I was arrested due to a domestic dispute in a city that was hours away. So I guess my question is, did they let it go? I have called the city where she lives and they said they don't have a warrent out for my arrest but the sheriff's department was handling it and now i hear that there is a difference between city warrants and country warrants..so is this something that I can let go? I don't have the officer's number anymore. This crime didn't even happen in the US, can she get away with this?

jsb25

Can someone answer this for me pls?

Would anyone even try to contact me if I had a warrant?

I just want to know if i can put this behind me now...

jsb25

You could have put it behind you a long time ago.
What does that mean? Like i don't have to worry about it?

I'll be honest here, I have a lot of anxiety issues in my personal life and I was raised to fear jail and thinking about going just scares me. That's why I recently started dwelling on this and then I figured I would ask here and see if someone could help.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This crime didn't even happen in the US...
Yes it did. You said she has a house in this country and that you were accused of stealing items from that house.

There are several commercial services that would allow you to check your own criminal history for a fee. Google is your friend.

jsb25

Yes it did. You said she has a house in this country and that you were accused of stealing items from that house.

There are several commercial services that would allow you to check your own criminal history for a fee. Google is your friend.
No, you misunderstood.

The person had two places, one in Mexico and one in the United States. I did not know she had a house in the united states and I stayed in her place in Mexico. The stuff was taken from her place in Mexico, but the victim is alleging that I took stuff from her house in the United States. So they are lying about where the crime took place.

I have looked at some of the commercial services but I do not know which is one that will show me warrants. I tried to go through a jail bondsmen to see if they could look up to see if I had any warrants and they said that I had nothing, however, she went through the sheriff's I think.

jsb25

oh ok, I get what you are saying now, the alleged country is the US. I was wondering what the procedure was in this case. I am innocent and was no where near the house, so there is no trace of me there since I never was, but now she is lying and saying that I did it and there is no dna or witnesses, can they still issue a warrant to try to arrest me based off her word? i don't think that is fair if they did. I have called a few times to see if there was a warrant out and I never heard anything. I am assuming that they have a few years to pursue something if they wanted to. What do you think?

Antigone*

oh ok, I get what you are saying now, the alleged country is the US. I was wondering what the procedure was in this case. I am innocent and was no where near the house, so there is no trace of me there since I never was, but now she is lying and saying that I did it and there is no dna or witnesses, can they still issue a warrant to try to arrest me based off her word? i don't think that is fair if they did. I have called a few times to see if there was a warrant out and I never heard anything. I am assuming that they have a few years to pursue something if they wanted to. What do you think?
I think you're paranoid.:cool:

jsb25

Hi antigone and thanks for your response..its not that I am paranoid, I have absolutely no idea how the criminal system works and ive never been in real big trouble. I have heard that the DA can take YEARS to issue a warrant if they need to, i think its up to three years for a felony which im pretty sure this is. Maybe I am paranoid, but the last time I had a warrant, no one told me and if i wouldn't have gotten a letter, i would have been arrested if i had been pulled over.

I am just wondering if this situation is possible, for the cop to pursue this, i mean she is lying but to them they don't know that. I mean am i ok considering that there were no witnesses dna, never been to the property? I mean, what evidence to they need to pursue this i guess is what im asking.

Banned_Princess

Hi antigone and thanks for your response..its not that I am paranoid, I have absolutely no idea how the criminal system works and ive never been in real big trouble. I have heard that the DA can take YEARS to issue a warrant if they need to, i think its up to three years for a felony which im pretty sure this is. Maybe I am paranoid, but the last time I had a warrant, no one told me and if i wouldn't have gotten a letter, i would have been arrested if i had been pulled over.

I am just wondering if this situation is possible, for the cop to pursue this, i mean she is lying but to them they don't know that. I mean am i ok considering that there were no witnesses dna, never been to the property? I mean, what evidence to they need to pursue this i guess is what im asking.
Your sheriffs office would know about any warrants. (the sheriff where the complaint was made.)

After 2 1/2 years the chance the state wants to pursue charges is slim to none. If they were going to charge you they would have done so at the time of the complaint. You responded to their inquiry and they were obviously satisfied with your response. If they weren't, they would have asked you to come down to the station to answer more questions or they would have come to your home to arrest you.

Petty theft is not a felony.

You said in your first post, that the cop who contacted you said he didn't believe her, then you heard no more about it. That pretty much says it all. He obviously knew how to get in contact with you. I doubt anybody is looking for you after all these years to charge you with a crime that cant be validated with any proof that any crime was even committed.

You act like you are on the top of the list of Americas most wanted. Move on with your life. :rolleyes:

jsb25

Your sheriffs office would know about any warrants. (the sheriff where the complaint was made.)

After 2 1/2 years the chance the state wants to pursue charges is slim to none. If they were going to charge you they would have done so at the time of the complaint. You responded to their inquiry and they were obviously satisfied with your response. If they weren't, they would have asked you to come down to the station to answer more questions or they would have come to your home to arrest you.

Petty theft is not a felony.

You said in your first post, that the cop who contacted you said he didn't believe her, then you heard no more about it. That pretty much says it all. He obviously knew how to get in contact with you. I doubt anybody is looking for you after all these years to charge you with a crime that cant be validated with any proof that any crime was even committed.

You act like you are on the top of the list of Americas most wanted. Move on with your life. :rolleyes:
Thanks Princess!, I didn't change my number for a good 7 months after the fact and they DID want me to go down there and answer questions, but I was back home then and hours away and so I made a statement and then faxed it to them, giving them my passport or what not. I will be honest, the person that is accusing me of this still haunts me to this day. They will not leave me alone and have found me on facebook, google, yahoo, and linkedin, so yeah I guess I am being a little paranoid. Since I am "far away", I figured that they would not be able to arrest me, but instead would just wait it out, but maybe you are right.

Breaking into a house and stealing things is usually considered BURGLARY.

Geez...
You are right, however, the victim is not alleging that I broke in, but that i took items from the home when they left out of time. I was staying there temporarily. So maybe it is theft?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">