• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having charges dropped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amlyam

My boyfriend was arrested Saturday night in Kern County on 2 Felony Counts (Spousal Abuse and Assult with a Deadly Weapon) and a misdemeanor for False imprisonment. I didn't call the cops, our neighbors, whom we were drinking and partying with did. The cops came and asked for information about the incident and took what I said about the Thursday before in the wrong context and charged him with the Assault with a deadly weapon and false imprisonment. I'm pretty sure these can be dropped and they need to be dropped because that's not how it happened at all. He accidently hit me with a flashlight while we were on the couch and he was holding me. They also said that he wouldn't let me leave the apartment since, which is a complete lie because I worked Friday and Saturday and I have proof of that. As far as the Felony Count of Spousal abuse goes, we were drinking and I could have hit him first and that is the first time he has ever hit and I know that all the cops and the judge are probably thinking he's just another *******, but he's not. Like I said, that was the first time he ever hit and it was because he was drinking. Yesterday, (only 2 days after being arrested), he enrolled himself in domestic violence classes and alcohol classes. So this is devastating to him and he's doing what he has to to correct the situation. Is there anyway I can have all charges dropped?

Antigone*

My boyfriend was arrested Saturday night in Kern County on 2 Felony Counts (Spousal Abuse and Assult with a Deadly Weapon) and a misdemeanor for False imprisonment. I didn't call the cops, our neighbors, whom we were drinking and partying with did. The cops came and asked for information about the incident and took what I said about the Thursday before in the wrong context and charged him with the Assault with a deadly weapon and false imprisonment. I'm pretty sure these can be dropped and they need to be dropped because that's not how it happened at all. He accidently hit me with a flashlight while we were on the couch and he was holding me. They also said that he wouldn't let me leave the apartment since, which is a complete lie because I worked Friday and Saturday and I have proof of that. As far as the Felony Count of Spousal abuse goes, we were drinking and I could have hit him first and that is the first time he has ever hit and I know that all the cops and the judge are probably thinking he's just another *******, but he's not. Like I said, that was the first time he ever hit and it was because he was drinking. Yesterday, (only 2 days after being arrested), he enrolled himself in domestic violence classes and alcohol classes. So this is devastating to him and he's doing what he has to to correct the situation. Is there anyway I can have all charges dropped?
That decision is not yours to make ~ it belongs to the district attorney.

outonbail

Like I said, that was the first time he ever hit and it was because he was drinking.
You're making excuses for his behavior, just like most battered women do at first. Unfortunately, statistics show it usually continues, especially when the aggressor believes the person he's slapping around will not report the behavior and even worse, cover it up and make excuses for it.

Yesterday, (only 2 days after being arrested), he enrolled himself in domestic violence classes and alcohol classes. So this is devastating to him and he's doing what he has to to correct the situation.
If he's not an abuser, why is he seeking help and enrolling into a domestic violence class?
Is he just playing a game in an attempt to fool the courts? Or, hitting you with a flashlight was not really an accident?

As far as the Felony Count of Spousal abuse goes, we were drinking and I could have hit him first
If this is true, what steps have you taken to get help with your drinking and violence problem?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">