• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hello. Question about passports.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JayBB

Hello, all. I am an Illinois resident who was arrested in Massachusetts for a DUI. I was placed on probation. Ordered to pay fines and attend what I assume to be the standard courses.

All of that is going fine. I am up to date on all payments, have attended all courses, etc. It was a serious mistake. I realize that. Believe me, I've "learned my lesson." So please, no lectures. I broke the law and I've accepted my punishment.

My question is this. I was hoping to make a trip out of the country. I know I would have to check with my probation officer and all of that. The main issue is, I don't have a valid passport. My previous one had expired, so I would need to apply for a new one.

Would I be denied on the grounds that I am currently serving probation? It was a misdemeanor, and I'd be checking with my probation officer before I left, but would the fact that I am still "in the system" be grounds for denial?

I read somewhere that passports were only denied on outstanding felony warrants or things like that, but I wasn't sure if the fact that I had a relatively recent arrest (10 months ago) would be a problem. I was afraid it would raise a red flag that I'm attempting to "flee" or something.

I tried looking at official sites for the answer, but had a hard time finding the answer to my particular question.

Thanks a lot for your help.

The Occultist

Well you have to submit that application to somebody, right? My advice: find out who that somebody is and ask them. Or even just submit the application and see what happens.

JayBB

Thanks?

Yes, I have to apply for the passport. I couldn't find any relevant information on their website, and the information provided directed me to call an 800 number between 8-9 am eastern. I can't do that. It would be very difficult for me to handle this situation during a workday, and so I was hoping someone here might be able to answer the question. Obviously I will call if I have to.

And I understand that I could just sort of apply and hope for the best, but as I stated in my post, I'm trying to avoid raising unnecessary red flags. If there is a specific set of special procedures I need to follow, I'd like to know that in advance. I'd rather not go ahead and apply and then have to explain my intentions afterwards.

(If for no other reason than I would pretty much hate standing awkwardly in line as someone explained to me that I can't get a passport.)

The Occultist

hahaha If you can find the time to stand in a line to get your passport, I think you can find the same kind of time for a simple phone call.

I do not know the answer to your question, perhaps somebody will be along that does, but in the meantime I've provided you a way to find out.

JayBB

Does anybody else know anything?

Never in my life have I been able to describe any call to a government agency as a "simple" phone call.

And no offense, Occultist, but you haven't told me anything I didn't already know. I appreciate the response, I was just hoping someone would come along that had dealt with something similar.

I never said I would only look here for answers. I can check this board at my own convenience, so I figured I would ask here first. Of course I will call/go stand in line if that's my only option.

(And I understand I cannot take anything I read here as a definitive answer, but I figured maybe somebody could help me out.)

Thanks, everybody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">