• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chriswalter

Defendant VS. State - 2 ND degree assault case class C felony dismissed without prejudice in Missouri.. My question can the plaintiff refile within a certain period of time?

Also does the ability to refile apply for dismissed with Nolle- pros for a similar case as above?

Plaintiff never showed up to either case it was me VS state first case dismissed may 2007 second case dismissed January 2008.

Thanks

Mass_Shyster

You've got some confusing terms.

Defendant vs State - This indicates the defendant is suing the state. In a criminal matter, the case is generally titled State v Defendant. If the defendant is appealing, in some states the caption would be Defendant v State. Also, if the Defendant is suing the state (in a civil suit) the caption could be Defendant v State.

Normally, there is no "Plaintiff" in a criminal case. The Plaintiff is the person suing you. In a criminal case, there is a prosecutor. If you mean the person you allegedly assaulted, that person is a witness in a criminal case, or the plaintiff in a civil case. If it was a civil case, the caption would be Victim v Defendant, not State v Defendant.

If, as I'm guessing, the case was State v. Defendant, and the alleged victim didn't show up, the case would be dismissed and refiled any later time within the statute of limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">