• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! I was caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iamanidiot

I am from MA.

I had been caught shoplifting about $1000 worth of clothing from Bloomingdales. I was being an idiot, I totally regret it and I will never ever ever do it again!

I was taken into a room, they listed things I stole and made me sign to confirm it, but they didn't call the police on me. They gave me a sheet that said Civil Demand Notice. So I am wondering, what is the process after this? I never never been arrested or have anything on my record.

Will I be expected to go into court? How much will my fine be? Should I think about getting a lawyer? I am 20, and I don't think I have money to pay for a lawyer, but if I don't will it be really bad? Like will it be on a record that'll keep me from getting jobs and such?

I am actually studying outside of the US, so I will have to leave the states tomorrow and won't be back until August. Will this be a problem? Can I postpone it?

I am so stupid for doing such an ignorant thing, but what is worse is I won't be physically in the states to handle this.

Please please help and give me any advice you have? I really need some suggestions and advice.

Thank you and sorry for the excess questions!!

Police not called?

That unusual! However if Police were not called then store is not prosecuting! This means no court or criminal record. Civil Deman varies but I would think with such a high dollar amount Civil Demand will be near your State max. Now $1000.00 theft is a felony in most states so store could still turn this over to PD in which case you might get a call, letter or visit from PD asking you to surender.

iamanidiot

i am sorry, a few more questions!

so just to make sure, this won't be on my record because the police wasn't involved?

when you say there is a chance that it might still go to the PD, do you know how likely that will be?

So I should be expecting a letter from Bloomingdales asking for a fine? Or will this be from the state department? If that's the case, as long as I have someone send in a check for the fine, then I should be okay even though I am abroad?

I am so sorry for all the questions, i am just so nervous and clueless, and just keep beating my self over and over again for doing something so stupid!

so just to make sure, this won't be on my record because the police wasn't involved? I don't know that but I was surprised on a felony theft cops were not called which is the norm

when you say there is a chance that it might still go to the PD, do you know how likely that will be? Yes they can write report and file it with PD at a later date and I cant say when I dont read minds

So I should be expecting a letter from Bloomingdales asking for a fine? Or will this be from the state department? If that's the case, as long as I have someone send in a check for the fine, then I should be okay even though I am abroad? Letter will most likely come from a Law firm. Th Civil Demand is a civil matter and not related to any criminal fines or the like

I am so sorry for all the questions, i am just so nervous and clueless, and just keep beating my self over and over again for doing something so stupid!

Yes it was stupid and if Police were not called and never get notified your very very lucky

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">