• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help me understand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jameshallerjr

What is the name of your state? Illinois. My parents were attacked and beaten in their tax office, hospitalizing them. My nephew who was there called the police and then his mother, my sister who then called me. I live about 8 blocks away and arrived before the police. when i arrived the man and his girlfriend ran to their car and before leaving tried to run me over. I then called the police who arrived shortly after they took our names and told us to come up to the police station. They caught the man but told us he was not going to be arrested because they did not witness the attack they then returned the tax papers that the man stole and told us that even though they were sensitive tax papers with names, social security numbers and other information on them that papers have no value so that was not really theft. We were told we could only make a complaint. We do not understand. My parents are both in their 60's and my father is handicapped. The couple are both in their 20's and both of my parents were hospitalized for multiple bruises,head injuries and lots of swelling. we do not understand why the man was not arrested and why we can not press charges?

CdwJava

It is the DA that pursues charges, not the victim.

Depending on the laws in your state, the police may not have been able to make a custodial arrest at the time they contacted the suspect(s).

How long after the assault were they contacted? At the time of the suspect contact, did the officers making the contact KNOW that your parents had been hospitalized with those injuries?

In the end, the suspect(s) should still have to face charges if the crime occurred as you mention. Contact the police and find out if the case has been forwarded to the DA/prosecutor, and then call the DA/prosecutor's office and find out what the status is.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">