• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help With My Warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missmelissa

I have 2 warrants out of 2 different courts in MA one is probation violation, the other is a bench warrant for a felony which I am out on bail but not convicted as guilty yet.
First question: Why did they put me in jail and make me pay bail when I hadn't been found guilty yet?

Second question: How can I clear up these warrants without going into court? I live in California now and I'm a full time student and mentally disabled so it's impossible for me to travel to show up in court. However when I told the court this they said I have to come in. Aren't there alternatives?

first answer: they put you in jail cuz you did something illegal and your going to get in trouble for it and bail is something that you have to pay to get out before the end of the trial. do you think it would be smart to put a serial killerin jail but let him roam free after they give him his court date?

second answer: No way to get out of the warrants. No alternatives. Not unless you move to another country for the rest of your life.

If you have enough time to commit a crime then you can travel. and forget about school cuz i dont' think your going to be going there for much longer.

CdwJava

missmelissa said:
First question: Why did they put me in jail and make me pay bail when I hadn't been found guilty yet?
To reiterate the previous comment from Hopkins: Because that is the way the law works. When you get arrested they want to guarantee your appearance in court. For some offenses you can be released on your own recognizance with a citation (a promise to appear in court). On others, you are released only on bail or bond which is set down to theoretically guarantee your return to court ... which, apparently, it did not. So, who's the unlucky acquaintance out their money or property because you skipped out?

Second question: How can I clear up these warrants without going into court?
Even if you hire an attorney a court appearance will be in your future. Warrants do not go away.

I live in California now and I'm a full time student and mentally disabled so it's impossible for me to travel to show up in court. However when I told the court this they said I have to come in. Aren't there alternatives?
Nope.

And having a warrant will prevent you from obtaining many good jobs, most types of government-supported loans, public assistance, aid, etc. Eventually the fact the warrant exists will make its way into every database and you may even have to pay back any student loans or aid you have received because of it. You will also have to spend the rest of your life wondering if this is the day the cops will pop you and take you home.

I strongly recommend you speak to an attorney in the state and county where the warrant is and see what you can arrange.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">