• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!! possesion/DWLS charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnglMom

What is the name of your state?FL, Pulled over for running red light on my way to drop my child off at the sitters, officer pulled me over for running a red light (light was green when I went under it but cars in the straight away were stopped waiting to turn left, irrelivant though im sure ) Officer pulled up my info. and saw my lisc. was suspended. I never took my D6 clearances to DMV so tickets were shown as unpaid and lisc. suspnd. The officer was rude and would not call family to pick my child up. Stated I was going to jail ect... After arriving to the Police station the other officers at the scene radioed in that a purse w/ 2 identifications not belonging to defendant and 1.6 grms of coke 6 methadone pills were found. I then got interogated by undercover told that charges will be dropped if i can make a deal for them ect... Could not so here I am. Also a officer in the report stated I told him I did some of the drug (coke) 15 min. earlier to my arrest. I bonded out and went and had a urynalisys test done (Negative). Any information on what possible defense I may have to work with if any. Im not a dope head and was hopeing to finally start a new life with just me and the kids. I had just started working in a night club cocktail waitressing and took a couple of girls home a few times, of coarse they had bags of cloths and unofficial names. I truley did not hang out with them. I had been working at the club for all of about 3wks due to child support and other financial issues arrising when childs father left. Im scared. And will never step foot in a club for needed cash!!! :confused:

seniorjudge

SnglMom said:
What is the name of your state?FL, Pulled over for running red light on my way to drop my child off at the sitters, officer pulled me over for running a red light (light was green when I went under it but cars in the straight away were stopped waiting to turn left, irrelivant though im sure ) Officer pulled up my info. and saw my lisc. was suspended. I never took my D6 clearances to DMV so tickets were shown as unpaid and lisc. suspnd. The officer was rude and would not call family to pick my child up. Stated I was going to jail ect... After arriving to the Police station the other officers at the scene radioed in that a purse w/ 2 identifications not belonging to defendant and 1.6 grms of coke 6 methadone pills were found. I then got interogated by undercover told that charges will be dropped if i can make a deal for them ect... Could not so here I am. Also a officer in the report stated I told him I did some of the drug (coke) 15 min. earlier to my arrest. I bonded out and went and had a urynalisys test done (Negative). Any information on what possible defense I may have to work with if any. Im not a dope head and was hopeing to finally start a new life with just me and the kids. I had just started working in a night club cocktail waitressing and took a couple of girls home a few times, of coarse they had bags of cloths and unofficial names. I truley did not hang out with them. I had been working at the club for all of about 3wks due to child support and other financial issues arrising when childs father left. Im scared. And will never step foot in a club for needed cash!!! :confused:

What is your legal question for us?

Kane

It sounds like you're saying the drugs were not yours, but that somebody left them in your car. If you didn't know about the drugs, then you're not guilty. However, many people are skeptical of this defense, and it can be hard to convince people (prosecutors, judges, jurors, etc.) that you're telling the truth. Unfortunately, this is a common defense, whenever someone gets caught with drugs.

You need to get a lawyer. If you can't afford one, go to the public defender's office, or get a court-appointed.

How many purses were in the car? Was there just one purse?

Whose ID was in the purse with the drugs? Did the IDs belong to real people, or were they fake? If there were clothes in the purse (or bag, or whatever the drugs were found in) were they yours? Would they fit you?

These are the kinds of questions your lawyer is liable to ask you.

If the answers indicate the purse really did belong to somebody else, you have a fighting chance. Otherwise you need to consider a plea bargain.

If you're a first offender, FL may well have a drug court or drug diversion program that could be a big help to you. Especially if you actually do have a drug problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">