• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Questions: Fleeing the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usmcsgtbob

What is the name of your state? AL

Hi Im hoping someone can help me here, I have a few serious questions that are bothering me and I really need some professional advice. A friend of mine is under investigation for a sexual battery case The attorneys have told him his case seems weak and with the heavy sentances that are carried out in these cases...hes sort of deciding to flee the country. Now let me state first, NO charges have been filed, there is NO arrest warrent and NO arrest have ever been made. Everything is pending investigation and testing.. Now here is my question. He has been talking to me about his flight from the country.. and asking me for favors to help with certain things and I have declined these.. I told him I wont help him and cant... but nevertheless he continues to hound me calling me and stopping by the house and asking what would you do type questions..

Im real nervouse about this kind of talk... I dont want him talking to me about this. He asked to borrow money, I refused.. now he wants me to help him sell off his cars and stuff, .. for he says he needs money for his defense.. but I think not... so far all I have done is listen to him, and made no recommendations or offered any real type of assistance.. its just mostly been listening to his plans.... . I dont want to but even talking and him telling me his plans is scaring me.. Keep in mind hes been a good friend for 10 years and Im trying not to be mean or blow him off but now that his plan is in action Im worried.. I dont want to be bothered by this guy... I dont want to get in any trouble.. he wants me to sell his cars.... can I get in trouble if I did that for him to raise money for ...whatever.... his defense costs.

Heres my questions.... Oviously it is not a crime if this guy decides to leave the country right now.. hes free to go anywhere he wants just like me or you ...correct? Whats going to happen when authorities find out hes gone.. ? will they issue a arrest warrent or wait until the trial and he will be a no show and then a fugative.. or ? If anyone assist him now prior to charges, like his parents or whatever.... have they commited a crime.. assist and abett. what is the definaition of : Example: if a man talks to another man about murdering his wife , discusses the details and the date when hes going to do it and the tools he will use and then he does it.. the other person can be an accessory to the murder cause he was aware of all the details even though he did not participate.. true? In this case , if his parents help him in any way with moneys and so on... would they be considered accessories even though him leaving the country DOES NOT consitite a crime , hes free to go,..,..there are no charges or does it? Does this only become a crime after the fact he is gone and then an arrest warrent is made... then any one helping him would be accoessories. Someone explain this to me.. becuse I know hes getting his parents involved in some ways.

Ok to re-iterate my worries.... I havent made formal opinions that I approve of his decisons or directed him where to go or anything like that.. mostly listend to his pending decisions..and talked to him as a fieind... hes scared and I understand.. I dont want to have him talk about this anymore.. to me .. and I dont really want to do any favors for him.. but Im worried I will become investigated after the fact.. I dont want no trouble from any authorities.. at all ... I want to be left alone.. I know where he is going but not the city and who hes staying with. I want to be dumn .. Please give me some advice not only for me but for his parents that are getting dragged into this nightmare.. define the crimes that could be committed here,., and should I be worried and completely stay away from this guy at this point ...have I done anything wrong? Really worried..

seniorjudge

If this story is true and you are still talking to this guy, then you need to go with him OR stop talking to him and start avoiding him like the bird flu.

Some Random Guy

Two things -
1 Its called aiding flight from prosecution and you can get in trouble for it.
2. Right now he's just thinking about fleeing (before being charged - now that's a guilty conscience). Just wait till next week when he gets the idea to shut up the witness. Now you're part of a criminal conspiracy and you'll be liable for anything he does unless you contact the police or victim right away.

Happy Trails

Tell the guy you don't want to be involved; then avoid him.

Clearly this guy knows what he did and if he wants to flee over the deal, then it can't be good.

smutlydog

Being a friend should not include putting yourself in a position to get sucked down the tubes with whoever this person is.

with friends like that who needs enemies.

If he didn't commit this crime why doesn't he just stay and fight the charges?

usmcsgtbob

My friend is undecided on what he wants to do and Ive decided not to associate with him anymore. I just wanted to know if prior to someone being charged was it a crime to discuss with someone this type plans although ive not done this. I provided a listening ear was all. Anyway thanks for the advice.

justalayman

It's not very often that it is illegal to discuss anything. The problem you now have is IF you are privy to any info, you now become part of the prosecutions case. There is this thing you might concern yourself with:

ACCESSORY AFTER THE FACT - Whoever, knowing that an offense has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact; one who knowing a felony to have been committed by another, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon in order to hinder the felon's apprehension, trial, or punishment. U.S.C. 18

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">