• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Wrongfully accused...Really!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chesneywormbot

Ok so here is the story (I live in western new york by the way) Tuesday morning on my day off I received a phone call from my Human Resources manager who told me he had some problems at the store he wanted to discuss and if I could meet him at a local coffee shop to talk I was 20 miles away watching my younger siblings for my parents and asked him if we could discuss anything over the phone to which his reply was "well, I will just come right out and say it we have some inconsistencies with the whites (I think he meant invoices) I have spoken with some customers and gone through some paperwork and your name has come up you have been voiding invoices or making refunds and taking money from the drawer they don't show up until well after the original invoice and there have been voids done under 'co-worker's' (used real name) when he wasn't even at the store." I immediately replied "woah I have not stolen money out of the drawer... I have used voids when I accidentally undercharged people and couldn't contact them to come back in order to cover my mistakes and make the drawer even because I couldn't afford to take it out of my own pocket and didn't want to be fired which is wrong but I have not been stealing I can't afford to lose my job or go to jail and its unethical I wouldn't do that." I barely finished my sentence before he said "we have had things like this happen before and I always give the person a chance to come clean and I know you have had some recent issues with having your car stolen and getting a new one on the road so I don't want to make things worse for you, I am going to syracuse until Friday so that is something you need to think about if you don't come clean I will have to prosecute." I said "I want to make right the mistakes I made I will even pay for them but I was not stealing" and his response was "I will call you Friday on my way back and we will meet and talk." And the phone call ended. I know he won't be able to prove that I took money from the drawer because plain and simple I didn't but I am terrified of being arrested and I think he is looking for a scapegoat and won't take the truth for an answer and will call the police on me if I don't make a confession to theft. A little background info is that I did have a car stolen and had to buy a new one (well used new to me) I did this in cash however I withdrew the exact amount cash from my bank account the day I bought it which I have the bill of sale and bank records of and all my purchases for the car or incidentals or bills are being withdrawn from that account and the only deposits into the account are from payroll direct deposit so maybe the spending looks suspicious to an outsider but all the money is accounted for but he didn't bother to even ask. The thing he mentioned about another individuals numbers (cashier login numbers essentially) I know nothing about I have fully functional privileges and have never been provided with anyone else's numbers we have been told explicitly not to give our passwords to anyone for any reason and I have not given nor received passwords other than my own. When he called this morning I actually ignored it because im not sure it is even prudent to meet with him without the presence of an attorney he suspended me until today which is punitive in my opinion leading me to believe he has already made up his mind... what should I do??? I am terrified of jail but don't think I should admit to theft to avoid it given the possibility he may call the police even if I followed his terms and just admitted to whatever he said to avoid a legal hassle. HELP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">