• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hi I have an urgent question regarding a warrant i have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gjanders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I have a job interview on monday and i have just recently found out that i have a bench warrant issued for not paying a speeding ticket. I do not have a job and cannot afford the ticket. i was considering turning myself in and explaining my circumstances to the judge is that what i should do? what will happen to me? thank you and advice would be greatly appreciated.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I have a job interview on monday and i have just recently found out that i have a bench warrant issued for not paying a speeding ticket. I do not have a job and cannot afford the ticket. i was considering turning myself in and explaining my circumstances to the judge is that what i should do? what will happen to me? thank you and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I was also wondering if this will show up on a background check for employment purposes.
You most definitely need to address the FTA (failure to appear) which prompted the bench warrant. That is a criminal offense at this point which could land you in jail. You might not actually need to go to jail in order to resolve it, but you should expect to pay a good chunk of the outstanding fines for the ticket which you have ignored. In addition, depending on the number of prior traffic violations you had in the 12 months to that specific violation, some traffic tickets can be enhanced to more serious misdemeanors which not only have increased fines, but may also carry the possibility of a jail sentence.

As to whether or not that bench warrant will show up on a background check, that all depends on how in-depth the check is. Some will ask only for convictions, others will ask for arrests. Since your current issue is an arrestable offense (due to the bench warrant), chances are pretty good it will show up if the background check lists your past arrest/warrant history.

gjanders

hi

i understand that but if i do not have the money to pay for the fines..i showed up for the court date and everything...they told me to pay which i could not..and still cannot what will happen to me if i turn myself in? i heard that ill just see a judge and hell decide whether to put me in jail or not and maybe give me time to pay it and drop the warrant? is that possible? ty :)

Last edited:

gjanders

im sorry i think i worded it wrong :)

i showed up for the trial so its not a failure to appear :) they set a fine and gave me time to pay which i couldnt find a job up until now 2 months past the limit they gave me so they put out a warrant...maybe thatll help ^_^

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">