• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home invasion, larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I had a roomate who claimed that I stole $80 from her. At the time I was not living at the apartment, and had not been for over 6 months. She quit paying rent in May, but refused to move out. Since I was on the lease I was responsible for payment. I paid May, June, and July's rent. The day before she was due to move out of the apartment (the lease was up) I went into the apartment. I did not have a forwarding address for her, and since I was taking her to Small Claims I needed this information. I had the apartment staff let me in. I did move things around the apartment. Once she came home and discovered this she immediatly called the police. I spoke with the police man who covered the case and he said that it could be possible home invasion charges and larceny. I need to know that, since I was paying for rent, is that considered home invasion. I am a roomate on the lease. Also, I did not see any money in the apartment...and I would not have taken it if I had. I also do not know if she can prove she had the money or if it was even in existance. If I do get convicted or sentanced for this, what is the penelty?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">